Internal wiring of an old range hood.

Old 03-09-19, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Internal wiring of an old range hood.

So the range hood that we have stopped working and I discovered it was due to a bad connection at one of the terminals on the back of a switch.

So I'm going to try to fix it by replacing the connectors or just soldering the wires directly to the terminals if the problem is the terminals not the connectors.

To help me with this the first thing I did was to draw a diagram with all the wiring respecting the colors of the wires and the numbers on the terminals of the terminals on the switches.

But I'm scratching my head a bit trying to understand what's going on in this circuit. Could someone explain it to me like I'm a five year old.

Coming from the outlet the Argentina standard is brown = line, blue=neutral, green = ground, the plug appears to be sealed production piece so I'm assuming that is respected internally.

Is the white really supposed the live wire? That would seem to imply that from 1 position of the on off it would be connected directly to neutral? I'm confused.

Attached is my diagram.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-19, 10:11 AM
Oh I'm silly. I just realized that that the on off switch is an illuminated switch which means it would have to have both poles. So 6 is just to run the light and and the switch commutes 1 and 3 and everything is switched on neutral.

Ok that makes a lot more sense.

Old 03-09-19, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
First off...... it looks the connections were made backwards in the junction box.
Not quite sure why you used green as interconnect wiring.
Does the on/off switch have a light in it ? If not.... it's wired wrong or the wiring is shown wrong.

Old 03-09-19, 10:35 AM
PJ The internal wiring was done in the factory I assume (in 1986 according to the sticker on the side). I respected the colors of the original wiring for the sake of the diagram.

And yes, realizing that it was a lighted switch made the whole thing make sense.

That first black box after the outlet is not actually a box. Its two insulated auto style connectors and then a ground screw to the metal frame of the hood