Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Hum/Buzz from LED dimmer and recessed lights (one side only)

Old 03-10-19, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
I got a LED compatible dual dimmer switch (two dimmer sliders in one switch). I put a couple LED recessed lights on the first side. Works perfectly. Then I wired up 4 cans with E26 connectors for the other side. Put in LED bulbs. Kick it on and UGH... LOUD buzz from the lights and a similar buzz from the dimmer itself. Only does it when the 4 light side is on. The bulbs are R20 and only use 5w, so I'm assuming it's not overloaded by the bulbs themselves. Is there a way to check for a loose wire without yanking all these light fixtures back out of the ceiling? It was seriously one of the most tedious and finger-crushing things I've ever had to do getting these particular cans to "click" into the ceiling, and I really don't want to take them all back out. Or of course if anyone has any other ideas why the one side would be doin this, please lemme know...

Also, after them being off all night, upon starting them this morning, the buzz didn't immediately start... After about 30 seconds they started humming like a bee though.

edit: I can't believe I didn't add this before but YES, the bulbs are "dimmable" rated.

Thanks,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-19, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Even though the lamps are dimmable, and the dimmer is rated as an LED dimmer, there are too many manufacturers that can cause compatibility issues. It is highly unlikely that the issue is caused by a poor connection in the lights themselves.

I have had the best luck with electronic low voltage (trailing edge) dimmers for dimming LED fixtures or lamps. These dimmers require a neutral so make sure you have that before getting one because they are pricey.

Old 03-11-19, 04:32 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
If dimmer literature doesn't state it is compatible with the LED bulbs you are using or the converse, you are on your own. LED dimmers/bulbs are not mixable like incandescent are, probably due to using electrical components having impedence.

Old 03-11-19, 07:28 AM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
Are the R20 LED lamps dimmable, not all of them are.