Wiring a photoelectric eye to automatic gate opener

Old 03-16-19, 08:06 PM
Wiring a photoelectric eye to automatic gate opener

First time post. I am trying to install a photoelectric eye that when interrupted or passed through will prevent the gate from closing. I have a sensor (Enforcer Reflective Photoelectric Sensor E-931-S35RRQ) and a Chamberlain Elite Robo Slide Gate Operator with an Elite Robo Surge Suppressor. Attached is a picture of the Sensor wires, Gray=NC, White=COM, Black=NO and the Surge Suppressor contacts. We can designate the middle set of contacts 1-6 (Safety Loop1-4, and Exit Loop 5-6). I currently have White/COM attached to 3 and Black/NO attached to 4 as shown in the picture.

With this connectivity, if the gate is closing, blocking the beam or passing completely through the beam (allowing it to hit the reflector again), stops the closing gate and reopens it (the desired outcome). If the gate is open and the beam is blocked, nothing happens. However, if something passes completely through the beam, the gate is triggered to close. This is problematic as we frequently want to leave the gate open and have movement in and out of the gate without it closing. Kids leaving on bikes will be shut out and the man picking up the garbage will be trapped inside the gate after he passes through the beam. Also, if the gate is closed, passing through the beam triggers it to open. This is problematic as anyone outside of our gate can just trigger it to open at will. There is a similar post from a while back at https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...te-opener.html, but it involves a different hardware and the recommended wiring (above) does not seem to work with my hardware.

I have also tried White/COM to 1 and Black/NO to 4. This scenario is best as the closing gate still stops and reopens when the beam is passed through. Additionally, it cannot be triggered to open from a closed state by the sensor. However, it does still close from an open state when the beam is passed through as described in the 1st wiring scenario above.

Is there a wiring scenario that will have the gate stop closing when the beam is interrupted or passed through, but not have the gate be triggered to close from an open state or to open from a closed state by the sensor? In other words, I'd like the sensor to only interrupt a closing gate.
Thank for the help.

Name:  g1.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  g2.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  94.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-16-19 at 08:15 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-19, 08:22 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

On your Robo Surge I see four connections for safety loop and two for exit loop.
How did you know which two safety loop connections to use ?

If you didn't have anything connected to the safety loop..... how would you keep the gate open ?

Old 03-16-19, 08:26 PM
Pete,
Thanks for your quick reply. Honestly I did not know. I tried several scenarios including the one from the similar, old thread you had responded to years ago.

Old 03-16-19, 08:31 PM
Pete,
Just saw your 2nd question. Without anything connected to the safety loop the gate stays open unless I press the button on my handheld controller to close it. Is that what you meant int he question?

Old 03-16-19, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Liftmaster Q412 surge suppressor K70-51105 is that control.
What is the model number of the gate system ?

Was there a jumper on the loop connections that you removed ?

Old 03-16-19, 08:47 PM
Sorry. It is an Elite ROBOSL3.
No sir. There was no jumper.

Old 03-17-19, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not familiar with this system so it's taken me some time to read up on it. In the link is the instructions that cover the Q412 surge suppressor module. From what I see in the diagram..... you need to use terminals 1 and 4.... the outside two of the four safety loop terminals. The diagram appears on page 17 of the manual.

Q412 manual

Old 03-17-19, 11:54 AM
Yes, thank you for looking at this. I too have poured over the manual. The second scenario in the original post uses those terminals:
"I have also tried White/COM to 1 and Black/NO to 4. This scenario is best as the closing gate still stops and reopens when the beam is passed through. Additionally, it cannot be triggered to open from a closed state by the sensor. However, it does still close from an open state when the beam is passed through as described in the 1st wiring scenario above."

I just do not understand how the circuit works enough to figure out how the gate is triggered to close from an open position. It should just stop closing when the beam is interupted. If I could see the circuit and how it works, I could understand how to fix it or at least what the problem is. I was hoping someone familiar with these safety loops might see my post and troubleshoot it.

Thanks for all of the time you put into this service to the community. I cannot imaging how much work it was to do almost 49K posts.

Old 03-18-19, 07:48 AM
Hi, unless I am missing something it appears that the setup on page 17 would do what you want, are you using a beam detector suitable for this system?
Geo

Old 03-18-19, 03:55 PM
Something to be aware of. With that type of connector, it's easy to tighten down on a wire's insulation instead of the conductor. It may work for a while, but finding it can "expand your vocaculary"!

Old 03-18-19, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys.
I think the sensor is suitable, but I am not aware of any technical requirements of the sensor by which to know fro certain.
Contacts are good, but I am glad you posted that caution as it could have been the problem.
This really is puzzling.

Old 03-18-19, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
I'm still on this. I was reading thru the install manual. They talk about using a photoeye to protect the area the gate opens into..... called an entrapment area. Then they talk about using an eye to open the gate if something blocks the beam while the gate is closing. Two different functions.... opening cycle and close..... but there is no mention of two different connections.

Do you only use the remote transmitter to open and close the gate ?
There is mention of a timer disable.

Old 03-20-19, 09:25 AM
Correct. Only use the remote to open and close the gate. The timer is off. Appreciate your tenacity on this puzzle. I think we are pulling on the right threads with your probing of the problem.
Chamberlain has not responded to my email concerning this matter.

Old 03-20-19, 01:08 PM
Update from Chamberlain support:
"Our RoboSlide unit works with Non-Monitored Normally Opened Contacts. In your case, you would wired directly into Terminals 1 & 4 on the surge. You would use the NO/COM wires from your safety sensors. Page 25 of the owner's manual has a great visual. Below is a link for the manual:
https://www.liftmaster.com/catalogresourcesv3/en-us/shared/files/tucmanuals/0150030.pdf"

This is what you had recommended as per the manual. I then called them and they say that there is no way to prevent the gate from closing from open position when the sensor is triggered. I would think this is a very simple problem to fix circuit wise, but I seem to be out of options. If only we could disable the sensor trigger while the gate is open. The gate can sense when it is open as a part of stopping the motor once opening is complete...

Old 03-20-19, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
I'm still thinking.....

No matter what..... it has to be done safely.
Do you have to hold the button in the whole time to close the gate or just a momentary press of the button ?