Wiring Routing below new panel

Old 03-21-19, 08:25 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring Routing below new panel

Hello,

I recently got a new 200 amp panel installed on my 1890 home. I have a question about the routing of additional circuits given the nature of the wall and crawlspace below the panel.

Shortly after the new panel was installed, I dry walled the wall and included two drywall access panels (above and below) so I could run additional circuits as time permitted.

My concern is the tight nature of the bend below the panel into the crawlspace. I included photos of how the old wiring was routed into the crawlspace to the old service panel -- these wires have since been removed because they were no longer needed (old AC and Range)

If I run new circuits down through the crawl space, should I put some sort of conduit below the panel into the crawlspace, or can I route NM cables around the cinder brick foundation as the old wire were routed?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Paul
Indianapolis, IN

Name:  w1.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  w2.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  w3.JPG
Views: 427
Size:  106.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-21-19 at 06:40 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 03-21-19, 08:32 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I would drill a couple holes through the floor joist so the new wiring can be run along the wood framing instead of along the masonry. It'll be a little trick to fish through there, but it's possible with some patience.

I hope those flying splices and unfastened cables were fixed before the drywall went up...

Old 03-21-19, 10:53 AM
P
Yeah, I had an electrician put the new panel in, they buttoned it up pretty good, see photos.

The electrician did run new circuits and they didn't drill holes in the floor joist, they just ran around the cinder block and stapled to the bottom of the floor joist to run the new circuits (they even ran the wiring perpendicular to the joist, which I've heard is out of code and should have used a running board, but not sure).

Is it ok that the just wired it similar to the old wiring, but stapled it to the floor joist, or should I drill a hole and route all cable through the holes going forward? I plan on running at least 6-8 new circuits below the panel.

thanks!

Name:  w4.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  w5.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  59.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-21-19 at 06:43 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 03-21-19, 11:51 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
As usual the code uses words like "where subject to damage" for when additional protection of cables like running boards or bore holes is required. It is a reasonable argument that in such a short crawlspace the cables are not subject to damage on the underside of the floor joists as there is no storage or foot traffic. It would also be reasonable to have installed running boards to protect the cables saying it's a tight spot and the cable might get snagged on someone belly crawling around.

Absent specific direction from your local inspector, it's fine to leave it as-is firmly in the gray area.

Old 03-21-19, 12:26 PM
P
Sounds good, thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Old 03-21-19, 12:32 PM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
There is no gray area or subject to damage wording when running NM cable in a crawl space. Where smaller than two #6 or 3 #8 cable is run at angles with joist the cable shall be run through bored holes or along running boards. NEC 334.15(C)

Old 03-21-19, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
At one time a crawlspace was treated differently but now it's considered an unfinished basement..... regardless of the distance from the floor to the ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: