Light bulb blew, sent sparks flying

Old 03-24-19, 10:05 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Light bulb blew, sent sparks flying

Hello,

We have a night light in a bedroom that is used on a daily basis. We turned on the light today and when we did that, the light bulb popped, followed by some ember-like sparks that flew off from the fixture. This would normally mean a burnt old light bulb, but we're not sure at this point, as there were sparks coming off from the fixture. The light bulb did indeed blow out and there is a little burn mark on the bulb, supposedly where the sparks came from. Is this a normal thing for a light bulb to do? Is it a defective fixture? Is there too much voltage?

Thanks in advance,

Austin

Old 03-25-19, 12:13 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
Is this a normal thing for a light bulb to do? Is it a defective fixture? Is there too much voltage?
Normal no, bulb or fixture, probably just a bulb that went bad, it happens!

Old 03-25-19, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
f the sparks came out of fixture i would expect a loose wire or bad fixture.

Old 03-25-19, 05:02 AM
Received 291 Votes on 261 Posts
Did the circuit trip?. I agree with Marq. If the outlet was never used otherwise, and only had this night light in it then most likely it's OK. BUT, it needs to be checked.

Old 03-25-19, 05:25 AM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
When an incandescent lamp filament opens, an arc , for a very short period of time, keeps current flowing through the bulb.Because the arc has no resistance, the current is higher. It is possible this higher current deformed wires in the light/fixture causing a dead short until the arc burned away the short . Normally this is enough to open the breaker. However you did not mention the condition of the breaker.

Old 03-25-19, 12:25 PM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
Did the glass bulb break?

I think that the only place where an ember might fly out without breaking the glass is one short thin wire that protrudes a little from between the glass and the screw base. The little wire is soldered or welded on there and the joint may have burnt apart, given the larger current flow through the cold filament when the light is first turned on, with a tiny bit of solder or metal flying off.

Usually when the filament burns out, the little wire outside does not overheat enough to break and spark,.

Old 03-25-19, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
If it's an LED bulb..... the power supply in the base of the bulb can explode.

Old 03-25-19, 06:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Norm201: No, the circuit didn't trip.

beelzebob: Nope, nothing happened with the breaker. Everything is fine there.

AllanJ: The bulb didn't break. Based on your explanation, I believe that's what had happened.

PJmax: This isn't a LED bulb, it's an incandescent.

-------------------

I ended up trying the fixture today. Because the bulb obviously blew, I put in a new light bulb and all is good now. Seems it was the light bulb that was the culprit. Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: