Should this subpanel be replaced?

Old 04-08-19, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should this subpanel be replaced?

I just moved into a home. It has an heat pump for an outdoor inground pool. It has a 60amp 1 phase circuit running through a small sub panel outside. The bottom portion of the panel is rusting (have a picture but cant get upload to work). Does the panel box need to be replaced? Additional power is not needed so it wouldnt be an upgrade, just curious if replacing the can is prudent/necessary.
thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-19, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 506 Votes on 476 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

See if this helps..... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 04-15-19, 11:56 AM
Picture attached

The rust doesn't go through the box, only superficial on the inside and a bit on the door the front panel

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 04-15-19 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Reduce size to rotate image.
Old 04-15-19, 07:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
Technically, I'd say yes. The rusted through hole at the bottom is large enough to allow a screwdriver or similar metal object to be inserted... and bad things could happen.

In reality, I would open the box and check the connections and bus bar and see if there is any corrosion there. Corrosion on the conducting areas is typically more hazardous than rusting on the box.

Old 04-15-19, 09:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 506 Votes on 476 Posts
I agree. The bottom of that box is rusted thru because the water is running down inside the box. That needs to be investigated.

Old 04-22-19, 06:12 AM
Thanks Zorfdt and Pjmax,
This is helpful. I removed the panel and noticed two things: 1) the box itself inst rusted, just the front panel and 2) there wasn't any obvious corrosion on the bus bar or any connections. Should have snapped a picture, but I didn't think about it at the time. Anyway, I'm probably going to replace the front panel and apply silicone around the conduit connection into the top of the box.
Thank you!