Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Neither dishwasher or disposal is turned on and 15 amp breaker keeps tripping

Old 04-08-19, 08:52 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have had a dishwasher and garbage disposal on the same 15 amp circuit when house was purchased 23 years ago.

I came home one night and and was looking at breaker panel to turn off some breakers to my well since I was going to be out of town for a few months. I noticed a 15 amp breaker to dishwasher and garbage disposal was tripped.

Neither appliance was turned on. I reset the breaker and it tripped right away. How do I trouble shoot this problem. Did one appliance
Go bad without it even being turned on? Iím at a loss. Thanks in advance.

Dean

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-19, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,180 Votes on 1,093 Posts
How do you activate your garbage disposal ? Typically it's a switch in the wall.
If that is off then the disposer isn't likely to be at fault.

You'll most likely need to find the common point and break it. There may be an electrical box under the sink where the circuit comes in and goes to the dishwasher and the disposal.

Unfortunately...... that should have been a 20A circuit.

Old 04-09-19, 06:41 AM
A
Received 87 Votes on 81 Posts
Most likely two wires are touching in a junction box (or the panel box) perhaps due to house vibration over the years wearing through the wire insulation or bare wire ends too close to each other or other metal parts to begin with.

The 15 amp circuit is probably grandfathered; verifying that (not mandatory) is left as an exercise.

Electrical vocabulary: Fault -- Undesired touching of wires or metal parts that may permit current flows following undesired paths.

Old 04-09-19, 07:06 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Remove the wire from the breaker. Does the breaker still trip?

Old 04-09-19, 08:52 AM
D
Thanks for reply. Under my sink right next to dishwasher is an on/off switch that turns on disposal. It is off and so is my dishwasher. So Iím to assume that the short is in the dishwasher? I rarely run the disposal and dishwasher at the same time. Okay. Just looked and the circuit is on a 20 amp! Hmm. I need a new disposal anyway. Vibrations were horrible when all was working. I hope the person installing disposal will be able to trouble shoot the problem. Thanks for everyoneís input.

Old 04-09-19, 08:57 AM
D
Just checked and I was wrong about 15 amp. It is 20 amp. I removed the wire before I went out of town. Just reset breaker wire still removed and it does NOT trip.

Old 04-09-19, 09:00 AM
D
Sorry. My mistake. It is 20 amp breaker. I guess Iíll open up the switch for disposal and see what the wire connections look like. If the short is in the dishwasher I guess I would have pull it completely out. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-09-19, 09:02 AM
Breakers go bad. You need to chreck as I sugged before proceeding.
I hope the person installing disposal will be able to trouble shoot the problem.
Disposals are installed by plumbers not electricians or maybe someone the store hired because they had a class C driver's license..

Old 04-09-19, 09:36 AM
D
Ray2047.. wasn't sure how to reply with original question. YES... the wire is removed from breaker and it does NOT trip. Should I find another 20 amp breaker and see if that works?

Old 04-09-19, 11:36 AM
Then the problem is likely either the equipment or the wiring.

Old 04-09-19, 12:48 PM
D
Okay.... I hooked breaker back up to see what happened 6 months ago. I've been out of town. Breaker tripped in about 7 secs. I went back upstairs and now I see the problem is my disposal. It was smoking. I unhooked the white wires from switch and wanted to see is dishwasher would work. TRIPPED again. so had to cut hot wire going into disposal. Dishwasher works. SO my next question. If I install a new disposal is the way the wiring set up OKAY? With switch just going to neutral white?
Thanks

Name:  us1.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  us2.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  64.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-09-19 at 03:10 PM. Reason: split into two pictures
Old 04-09-19, 12:53 PM
D
I guess when I pasted URL it made my entire message hot as in LINK so click it to see picture. Thanks

Old 04-09-19, 02:31 PM
T
I cant see the wire very good in that picture. Typically in a 120v circuit the white wires will get spliced together, and the black wires will attach to the switch.

Old 04-09-19, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,180 Votes on 1,093 Posts
You'll see the picture better now. You'll also see a box with no wire connectors in the knockouts and a switch wired incorrectly. The neutral should be wirenutted thru and the black wires should be on the switch.

However.... that is not the cause of your short.

Old 04-11-19, 07:52 AM
Received 92 Votes on 82 Posts
I see an open splice at the back of the base cabinet that needs to be in a proper box. I'd recommend you get an electrician to fix the electrical issues before having the disposer replaced.