Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Replacing fan and wall control with lighting fixture and smart dimmer

Old 04-13-19, 10:36 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,

As the title suggests, I'm attempting to replace a fan with a lighting fixture and also replace the fan's wall control with a Lutron smart dimmer. The lighting/fan for the room is split into 2 switched; 1 switch controls both the fan and the fans light while I'm not sure the other switch does anything. Before replacing the new light I unscrewed the wall control switch from the wall and was a bit confused by the wiring.

I'm hoping someone can advise how to install the new dimmer. If this was a normal light switch I think it would be a like for like replacement with the switch on the right (the switch that does nothing - see pictures) but since the other switch seems to have all the control I had no idea where to start

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  13.4 KB

Name:  f2.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  49.2 KB

Lutron switch that I need to install (and a completely unrelated diaper)
Name:  f3.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  12.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-15-19 at 11:59 PM. Reason: cropped/resized imported pictures
Old 04-15-19, 11:04 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
It looks like that old fan control might have a second piece in the fan itself. Since that fan controller has only 2 wires (ignoring the ground), it must be using some kind of signal to control the fan and light through one wire. I'm wondering if the blue warning sticker says something about it.

You'll also probably see at the fan, only the red wire is connected. The black wire is probably capped off (was used for the light in the past, before the new controller was installed).

If I'm right, you'll want to disconnect it all on both ends.
At the fan, The black will control the light, and the red will control the fan.
In the box, the switch will remain as-is controlling the light and your new controller will control the fan only.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: