What wire do I need?


Old 04-16-19, 08:50 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What wire do I need?

I need to run power from my house to a workshop which is about 200 feet away. The new box in the workshop is 100 amps. What gauge wire do I need to use?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-19, 10:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,944
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
If you actually need the full 100A in the workshop you will want to use #2/0 aluminum. Something like a mobile home feeder (MHF) cable in the #2/0-2/0-1-4 size would be a good choice. That cable can be direct buried at 24" depth, and run in PVC conduit from the bottom of the trench up and into the panels.

Most workshops however do not need a full 100A. What kind of tools and machines do you intend to use? Is there electric heating or cooling in the shop? Will there be multiple people working at the same time?
Old 04-17-19, 07:39 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ibpooks thanks for your response. Iím running some saws, a lathe, drill, sander etc. usually one person working at a time. Also a fridge and hot water heater. There will also be a heating/cooling system. Where is the best place to buy the wire? Do you think less than 100 amp service would be adequate? How do you figure the gauge wire needed for the amps and the distance? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-17-19, 07:51 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,597
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
How many amps does the heat/AC system draw?
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: