Ok to drywall half of two gang box?

Old 04-20-19, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Ok to drywall half of two gang box?

Here's my dilemma:

I'm getting ready to tile a back splash, but the light switch is right in the middle of the end line between the cabinet and counter top. I've seen folks tile around switches, or extend the back splash past the cabinets, but both look sloppy to me.

Obvious choice was to move the light switch over a foot onto the tile, but there's not enough wire length (no room the other direction with the stud then doorway).

Second thought was to turn the two gang box into a one gang with a double switch (there's just enough room that it would work). Unfortunately, there's way too many wires in there for a single gang box (two switches, one three way, and some other joined wires).

Last thought was to keep the two gang box, use the double switch, and then drywall over the other half of the box, and then tile over). Seems like someone might take exception to that, but reading through the code, I couldn't find anything the would suggest this would be unacceptable. You'd technically still be able to to to the box through the "1 gang" switch side.

Does that make sense what I'm trying to do? Does anyone that smart on the code know if that's a major problem with that, or if it would be ok?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-19, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Is the wall still open..... can you change the box ?
Replace the box with a 4" square deep (1900) box and a single gang mud ring.

Name:  ring.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  32.2 KB

vthokie voted this post useful.
Old 04-20-19, 06:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Not allowed to drywall over half the box. I would definitely use Pete's advice. Metal works, or you can do the same thing in plastic.

Another option, which might end up being more work, would be to install a single or double gang box higher up on the wall in the cabinet (or below in the base cabinet). Add a blank plate over it so it's accessible. Then run the one or two cables into a standard single-gang box for your switch.

Old 04-20-19, 06:24 PM
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
With the 4 inch square box that Pete mentioned you can also use a mud ring cover with an offset single device opening, if that would help:

https://www.garvinindustries.com/covers-and-device-rings/4-square-covers-device-rings/one-gang-offset-device-rings

Old 04-20-19, 09:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Very nice. I haven't seen those before. (too much commercial work)