GFCI mystery

Old 04-23-19, 06:19 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GFCI mystery

I am installing new GFI outlets in kitchens of apartment building. When I connect line hot and neutral the GFI will Reset and Test with no apparent problems. When I connect the load hot and neutral after removing yellow tape for an outlet down the line the GFI trips immediately when I Reset.

I'm not an electrician, but I have installed dozens of GFI with no problems. I have a basic understanding.

I have reinstalled the old outlet. My little yellow outlet tester says it's wired correctly. Outlet down the line tests OK too and tenant has never reported problem.

Why won't this GFI work correctly after I connect the load hot and neutral when it works fine if only the line hot and neutral are connected?

I'm thinking now I should add a jumper to connect the line side of GFI and continue the hot and neutral down the line bypassing the GFI. Then install another GFI in the next outlet. Sounds stupid to me too, but I am stumped and desperate.

Any advise is much appreciated.

Old 04-23-19, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
You need to remove the load wires from the GFI receptacle and check using an ohmmeter between the white wire and ground. Any connection between neutral and ground after a GFI will cause it to trip.

Old 04-23-19, 07:28 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So if I understand correctly I should check for continuity between ground and load neutral? In this case flex conduit it ground path.

Old 04-23-19, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Yes.....if that's how it's wired.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: