using wind turbine in lieu of solar on gate opener

Old 04-24-19, 06:23 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Question using wind turbine in lieu of solar on gate opener

I have just installed a Mighty Mile (MM360) gate opener. For now I have just a 12v car battery powering it. The instructions call for a transformer providing 18vAC *OR* solar. (Many warning about not using both.) Connecting solar to the board will apparently keep the battery charged so I assume there is some kind of charge controller built into the board.

I have ordered a VWTG (Vertical Wind Turbine Generator) which will provide 300 watts of 12v 3-phase power. Can I just plug that into the solar input on the gate opener? I also will be using the VWTG to power some 12v LED lights in the area. What do I need to do all this?

maleon voted this post useful.
Old 04-24-19, 07:15 PM
L
Received 92 Votes on 80 Posts
Does this turbine generator have some sort of regulator ?

I cannot confirm since I could not find specification of solar panels to be used, but most of this low voltage solar panels have a built in voltage regulator, which will limit the voltage supplied.
Since it is calling for 18VAC transformer, I doubt 12V will be enough to charge the battery. To keep 12V lead acid battery charged, you will need something around 14V at the battery terminal.

Are there any battery charger that goes with your generator? If so, you could just directly connect this charger to the battery.
Make sure it is not some sort of fast charger that will supply high voltages. That can fry your controller board.

You should use marine/deep cycle battery instead of automotive battery (looks the same, but different internal parts). Deep discharging automotive battery will shorten battery life very quick.

----------- EDIT ---------------

Just found voltage readings under trouble shooting and solar panel should read 18 to 22V DC. So, you'd have to supply something in that range.

Old 04-25-19, 05:00 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, what are the specs. On the wind turbine, you say 3 phase?
Geo

Old 04-25-19, 05:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Does your turbine include a charge controller? You will need one to do almost anything as almost nothing can accept 3 phase 12 VAC. Three phase turbines aren't intended to power anything directly and rely on the charge controller to convert the 3 phase AC to regulated DC for battery charging. Then you power everything from the battery which is a more useful 12 VDC.

If you are wed to the 12 volt turbine you may need to get an up converter to change the 12 volts into 18 or 24 volts for your gate. The LED lights could be powered directly from your battery though. If doing over I would have purchased a 24 volt turbine as it's easier and cheaper convert down in voltage but harder/more expensive to convert up.

---
Have you any experience with wind turbines? Where are you located? Do you have reliable wind?

I have spent a good part of my life on boats, some of the sailboats have had wind turbines (both vertical and traditional) and/or solar panels. You would have a hard time giving me a wind turbine and forget about getting me to pay for one. They aren't so bad if located well away where the noise won't be annoying and probably will require less maintenance inland but solar was always more reliable and required less (almost none) maintenance.

Old 04-25-19, 04:48 PM
B
The wind generator is still in transit, but the specs say 300 Watt, 12vAC 3 phase.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...146d2fc2kAShjW

In one photo it shows the "generator" with 3 wires coming out. I assume Neutral, A, B and C (3 phase).

Last edited by BountyHunter23; 04-25-19 at 05:10 PM. Reason: stated untrue info
Old 04-25-19, 04:55 PM
B
This is what is shipping to e.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...146d2fc2kAShjW

I live i Florida so solar was a good option, but we live on a property with large oaks all over. At one time i had a small solar setup so I have a charge controller (45w) and a 750w inverter. I just have no experience with 3 phase.

Nor being sure what is in the "generator" maybe I'll wait until I get it and have it set up and turning and put the old multi-meter on it. ???

Old 04-25-19, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
There is nothing in the generator. It outputs 3 phase AC power on three wires which is completely unusable to you. You need a regulated 12vDC output or actually slightly higher since you need to charge a 12v battery. In the link is the same site that lists the wind generator and 12v charge controllers. There are many listed and I'm not sure which one I'd trust. You may need to choose a 24vDC wind generator controller and and then a charge regulator.
Controllers.

Old 04-26-19, 03:49 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
A 12/24 Volt 3-phase Generator. Now that's just plain weird.

Might something have been lost in translation???

Old 04-26-19, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Not sure what was lost. This is typical of the stuff directly from China. I wouldn't expect much as far as a system for $90. Nowhere does it discuss any type of controller but it sort of talks about connecting it. It shows the actual generator in all the pictures and says three leads out. I'm not sure what passes as a controller.

Name:  wg.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  39.4 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: