Exterior [Unistrut] mounting channels - corrosion

Old 04-27-19, 11:33 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Exterior [Unistrut] mounting channels - corrosion

I have a few fixtures - swimming pool pump timers, pond pump timers, jacuzzi air silencers etc...that are mounted on these U shape channels because there are not any walls near by to surface mount them.

These channels don't take the Florida humidity too well and one side of it is completely rotted out.

Do they make stainless steel or brass versions of these, or can you think of better ways to mount them?

Last edited by ray2047; 04-28-19 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Clarify terminology.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-19, 04:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 440 Votes on 404 Posts
Yes, the struts are available in stainless steel. Just Google and many suppliers will appear and you can probably find someone in south Florida that stocks it.

Old 04-28-19, 06:35 AM
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Hi, I donít think that is so much a humidity issue more likely because it looks like it just stuck in the ground, is it possible to put a small pad there to keep it out of the ground.
Also looks like it may have been cut off with a touch which would have destroyed the coating on the Unistrut.
Geo

Old 04-28-19, 05:29 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
" Hi, I don’t think that is so much a humidity issue more likely because it looks like it just stuck in the ground, is it possible to put a small pad there to keep it out of the ground.
Also looks like it may have been cut off with a touch which would have destroyed the coating on the Unistrut.
Geo"

The channel is pounded into the ground and buried about 18" deep. The rotted out section is where the channel meets the ground. The section below is corroded as well, but not too bad. It's always at the ground level. Similar to pressure treated fence posts, we buried that 24" below grade and after 5 years or so the posts would rot out at the ground level. The 2' pieces underground are perfectly fine, the 6' pieces above ground are perfectly fine, but the spot where they meet ground rots. Doesn't even matter if I slope the concrete away from the post, or coat the feet with tar, or whatever.

Old 04-29-19, 05:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 440 Votes on 404 Posts
Yea, in a coastal environment stainless steel is about the only thing that can hold up well.

Old 04-29-19, 05:26 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The only other way to get more life out of it is to pour some concrete and leave j-bolts protruding so you can bolt down the unistrut when the concrete is cured. That keeps it up off the ground, but it's a lot of extra work. It's also a good idea to spray the cut ends of the strut with some rustoleum or cold galvanizing.