Recommendations for modernizing well system

Old 04-28-19, 09:25 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recommendations for modernizing well system

When I purchased my home a few years ago, it came with the well setup pictured below. Everything is functioning, but it is in an obviously unsafe condition and I would like to update the electrical setup. I would consider myself an experienced DIYer, having grown up learning from my father who is a contractor.

Some background: my house was built in 1956 and I don't know much about the well itself because I haven't been able to locate it. I have an idea of where it is in the yard, but the head is underground with no visible cap at the surface. I had to have the entire house rewired when I bought it to replaced whole house low-voltage system, but the wiring for the well was not touched at the time.

A few things to note:
  1. The fuse box was rusted when I bought the house. Unclear if it came into direct contact with water at some time or if it's due to overall basement moisture rusting out the old box over time. Can the fuse box be eliminated entirely or should it be replaced? The well pump is currently on a dedicated double 20A breaker. The wiring was not replaced as you can see, but it would not be difficult for me to replace the wiring from the fuse box back to the panel.
  2. I'm currently having an issue with water coming up the vent pipe and dripping down, I think due to the amount of rain we've had lately in CT, so the white towel pictured is to wick away and drip water into a bucket right now so it doesn't end up in a pool on the floor.

I'm hoping for pointers and product recommendations to correctly modernize this setup. Any pointers about the non-electrical aspects of it are appreciated as well. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-19, 07:04 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 72 Votes on 68 Posts
You need a disconnect at the pressure tank setup, a standard double-pole switch (rated 20A) will work fine. That replaces the fused disconnect.

My OCD would probably want to replace the existing BX (armored) cable with new MC cable. It looks basically the same, but will have better conductors/insulation and a separate ground.

I would definitely replace the BX cable from the breaker box to the new disconnect. It can likely be standard 12ga NM/Romex cable.

I probably wouldn't replace the pressure switch or the controller unless they are showing more age than in the pic.

There's not a whole lot you can do with water infiltration with the current setup. Some silicone caulk might help some, but it likely won't help much.
At some point, you'll need to find the well... but might as well wait until something happens and get the well company to help find it.

Old 04-28-19, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 731 Votes on 686 Posts
The old three wire pump controller can be removed. Unfortunately it looks like a two wire submersible pump was swapped in for what was once a three wire pump.

What's the difference ?
Less expensive
Not as long lasting.
Harder starting.

Old 04-29-19, 05:19 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for this information. So is the control box just being used as a junction box?

Old 04-29-19, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 731 Votes on 686 Posts
Yes.... the red and black pump wires are attached directly to the L terminals.
If that box was in use the three wires would be on R-red, Y-yellow and B-black.

That's a combo control box and disconnect. When wired as intended..... with the relay/cap part pulled out.... the well would be dead.