Aluminum wire in Florida

Old 04-29-19, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aluminum wire in Florida

hello, thanks for reading this. I need some advice from someone who knows someone about aluminum wire in Florida. I have alumiconn connectors at every box. The final question is do I need to do this in the breaker box as well? If so at each breaker and the neutral bar or just at the breaker? Thanks for any help or support.

Cheers, David

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-19, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 384 Posts
You don't need alumiconn connectors in the panel but the connections should be treated with Noalox. A grease that is used on aluminum wiring to keep it from oxidizing.

The service wires should be coated too.
(if they are not..... it should be done by an electrician as most service lines cannot be killed without removing the meter)

Old 04-30-19, 06:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
For others listening, aluminum oxidizes quickly when exposed to air, so the Florida climate doesn't matter that much in this case. Unless you're within walking distance of the ocean in which case everything will corrode faster.

When reconnecting the old aluminum wires, it's a good idea to lightly brush the exposed conductor with a plumbing fitting brush or brass toothbrush to break through the oxide layer, then apply noalox, then reconnect.

Old 04-30-19, 05:31 PM
Thank you both. PJ your advice has be valuable several time. The main still have a good coat of Noalox as I canít see any aluminum wire. The rest of the breakers look great with one exception, lock screw was rusty, so I replaced today. Was happy to see the Type QT still in stock at HD.

Its great to get advice and gather information from the pros. Trust me, if the main leads need work, a pro I would call. I still pucker up when working with low voltage!!

As always, thank you both for your advice and guidance.

Old 05-01-19, 04:47 PM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Check your equipment rental house and see if they have a "point and shoot" infrared thermometer. Use it to "take the temperature" of the bolts/lugs securing the conductors to the main. Quick and safe! If one reads appreciably hotter than the other, it needs attention. For comparison, read all the breaker connections.

Old 05-08-19, 12:35 PM
Ok so this question came up in this topic, do I need A licensed contractor to install the allumiconn connectors, or can this be done by the home owner?

Old 05-08-19, 01:53 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
All code is local. You need to check with your local AHJ.

Old 05-09-19, 06:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
As long as homeowners are allowed to do electrical work in your area, you can install AlumiConns DIY. The other aluminum wire remediation system is called COPALUM and that one must be done by a certified tech; not for code reasons, but because the company only makes the product available to electricians who have taken their training courses.

Old 05-09-19, 05:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
The Alumi-con calls for the use of a torque screwdriver, although they do list an alternate method.