fridge and grounding

Old 05-28-01, 10:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am moving my fridge to a new location in the kitchen where the outlet is ungrounded. Does the fridge need a grounded outlet? Thanks.
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-01, 10:51 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
The NEC looks at this as an existing receptacle. If you make no changes in that receptacle and it is a two prong receptacle then it does not have to be changed. If you change this receptacle to a three prong receptacle to be compatible with the three prong plug of the refrigerator, you have three choices. Install a GFI receptacle three prong with no bare wire in the circuit or install a three prong receptacle and run a green grounding wire from that receptacle back to the grounding bar of the main panel. Install a new branch circuit from the panel using a black, white, and bare wire from that panel to the new receptacle using a three prong receptacle.

The GFI idea is not in my opinion a good choice. If the GFI kicks off you may loose all food due to spoilage in that fridge.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 05-28-01, 02:31 PM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
This is one case where you can't use a GFCI in place of a grounded outlet. If you are installing a new outlet it must be a grounded outlet. This is because 250-114(3)(a) always requires a grounded outlet for residential refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners. While 210-7(d)(3) gives permission to replace a non-grounded outlet with a GFCI protected outlet, nothing in 210-7(d) modifies the requirement for a grounded outlet that is in 250-114(3)(a).
Don(resqcapt19)

Old 06-10-01, 04:59 PM
solipsist9
Visiting Guest
do NOT put a fridge on an ungrounded recep. got a call from a friend who had just purchased a condo. he said that on occasion, he would get shocked when touching the stainless steel sink and the fridge handle. after some troubleshooting, i found that the previous owner had cut the ground prong off because the compressor had a short; fridge worked fine as long as it wasn't grounded, and gave no indication there was a problem. could have been a deadly situation.