Lights flickering 3 months after fridge added to circuit

Old 05-06-19, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lights flickering 3 months after fridge added to circuit

I added a fridge (couple of years old but new to me) to a circuit three months ago. The 20 amp circuit had two exterior ceiling fans rarely used and two pendulum lights in kitchen. Have not had any issues with the lights until yesterday. Two days ago I Took out drywall on back of the wall of the dimmer switch that controls the lights. Was able to pull off with out any real banging. Next day noticed light flickering and even Temporary loss of power maybe 20-30 seconds with nothing and then popped back on (breaker didnít trip). I worried I had a loose wire from working on the wall but donít see anything disturbed in dimmer. And lights stay steady when I jiggle and test connections. I checked all connections mad when adding fridge and all are tight. I then found that if I remove the fridge the flickering stops. So I think thatís the culprit but when I but the fridge on a separate circuit with 6 can lights no issues everything holds steady. Any ideas on what to check next. If/when I add the fridge back to pendulant lights the flicker starts again.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-19, 04:32 AM
Received 38 Votes on 33 Posts
Redo all electrical connections in the circuit, especially in the wall with drywall removed. Use screws on switches and outlets to attach wire instead of back stabs,

Old 05-07-19, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I reworked the connections in the wall I had been working on and still the flickering continued. Remembered that there was one other light on the circuit I never use. It was flickering as well. Picked up a new breaker and switched it out and that seems to have fixed my issue.

Old 05-07-19, 08:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 29 Posts
The arcing may have damaged the bus stabs. They need to be checked for pitting.

Old 05-10-19, 05:52 AM
Received 24 Votes on 24 Posts
Excessive use of electricity than available tends to result in lower voltage, due to voltage drop that naturally occurs in wires when amperes draw is increased, and also due to loose connections. Loose connections will heat up tremendously long before the current (amps) permitted by the circuit breaker or fuse has been reached.

Now, a loose neutral can cause overvoltage that will damage and fry electronics including microwave ovens and some washing machines.

Old 05-10-19, 07:02 AM
Received 38 Votes on 33 Posts
Voltage and frequency are controlled within a narrow range by power companies due to law. This does not apply to lightening striking the wires from the utility to your house. Do you have a standby generator without over voltage protection?