Installing a 240V outlet for charging my Chevy Volt.

Old 05-11-19, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a 240V outlet for charging my Chevy Volt.

I am not an electrician, and I need to put a 240V outlet in my car port, to plug in my 2016 Chevy Volt.

I will probably hire an electrician to put the breaker in, but I want to buy the components beforehand, and install the things I can install, like the outlet box.

I have a "Zinsco" main breaker panel I will be adding the new 240V breaker to.

So my preliminary questions are:
1. If I list the components on my shopping list could someone advise if they are the correct components, for my Zinsco panel and for the car I am going to plugin (2016 Chevy Volt)?

2. Is this the correct forum for this type of question?

Thanks in advance.

Justin.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-19, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Yes, this is the correct forum. That said, I would talk to the electrician first, as many of them are not fans of using items supplied by the homeowner.

mettam voted this post useful.
Old 05-11-19, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Zinsco has been out of business for decades. The panels are considered a fire hazard. You might find a breaker but it will cost you. Best is to replace your breaker panel.

Old 05-11-19, 05:14 PM
Yes, I have heard Zinsco is s notoriously bad breaker panel. Because I will not be living in this house much longer I dont want to invest too much in replacing the Zinsco breaker panel.

So my options are:
1. Keep plugging into the 120V outlet and put up with having to pay a much higher rate per KWh.
2. Install 240V breaker into the Zinsco panel.
3. Or, (if this is possible) Get a double adaptor. and keep the Washing machine and the EV charger plugged into the same 240V outlet? Then run a long cable from the laundry out into the carport.

Is option 3 feasible? If the Washing machine and the EV are both drawing power at the same time will something break?

Old 05-11-19, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Do you mean dryer not washing machine?

Keep plugging into the 120V outlet and put up with having to pay a much higher rate per KWh.
Never heard of a higher rate for 240v. 240v is what your house is supplied with and what the meter measurers.

Old 05-11-19, 05:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
A kwH is the same regardless of voltage. why do you think the rate is higher for 120 volts vs 240?

Old 05-11-19, 06:29 PM
Ok, what I mean is I need to charge at a faster rate (240V) so that I can charge within low rate period (11pm-7am @ 9c/KWh) If I continue pulling at the 120V I would not be able to charge the car within that low rate period. Sorry I didnt make that clear.

Is it possible to plug two appliances into one 240V outlet. Dryer and EV?

Old 05-11-19, 06:54 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, if both are rated for 30 amps but not at the same time. Best would be a switch to choose which receptacle was in use and hardwire to the garage from there.

Note assumes garage is attached to house, Extension cords are not recommended due to possible voltage drop. Extension cord would need to be at least #10 which would probably cost more than hard wired.

Old 05-11-19, 09:45 PM
Yes, if both are rated for 30 amps but not at the same time. Best would be a switch to choose which receptacle was in use and hardwire to the garage from there.
Sorry I have some dumb questions.
1. What do you mean if both are rated for 30 amps? Are you assuming the dryer is on a 240V at 30 amp breaker?

2. What would a switch to chose which receptacle is being used look like? Would you be able to send me a link to such a switch so I could get an idea?

My carport isn't attached to the house. I live in a TownHouse and the carport is out the front, there is a courtyard between the townhouse and the carport. I could run a 25ft #10 extension cord from the laundry to the carport.

Old 05-12-19, 12:46 AM
Group Moderator
Are you assuming the dryer is on a 240V at 30 amp breaker?
Yes, 30 amp is correct for most electric dryers.

What would a switch to chose which receptacle is being used look like?
One type is a single circuit transfer switch usually use to choose weather a furnace is powered from the line voltage or a generator. Actual wiring would be different than when used for the intended purpose. USA, Universal Changeover Switch|Manual Generator|3PDT Center OFF|Rotary Cam| RV Transfer Swith| Pedestal Power Supply | Boat Panel | Power Source| Utility | Line | Shore| Back-up Power| Solar Energy| Battery Charger| Rectifier | Transfer Switch|

My carport isn't attached to the house. I
Then you can't by code run a second circuit. You would need to abandon the existing 120 volts and install a subpanel.

I could run a 25ft #10 extension cord from the laundry to the carport.
That may be the cheapest route. Just unplug the dryer each time you use the extension cord.

Old 05-12-19, 11:06 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you're planning to sell the house, you may as well replace the breaker panel. Any home inspector worth his salt will ding you for the Zinsco breaker panel, especially if you're charging your car off of it.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 05-12-19, 03:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The home inspector could mention the panel, but it would be a negotiated item between the buyer and seller if it were requested to be changed.

Old 05-12-19, 05:18 PM
Thank you "Mad Scientis" and "pcboss" This is definitely something to consider.

I think I might forego the whole charging at 240V plan, and just keep charging through my 120V outlet.
I generally plugin at 8pm and leave at 8am and in this time my Chevy Volt's 18.4Kwh battery is fully charged. The downside is only 8hours will I be able to charge at the cheap rate (11pm-7am), and 4hours at the more expensive rate.

Old 05-13-19, 02:33 PM
A 25' extension cord for 30 amp-4prong cord is $120 from big-box-blue.
If you save enough on charging to be anywhere close to break-even, get it.
I would ALSO get a plastic cord-roller, get in the habit of unplugging from the wall, rolling up the cord, toss in the trunk - that way you HAVE the 25' cord with you, if you find you need it.

Old 05-14-19, 04:10 PM
That would mean you can't go to sleep unit 11pm. Or get up at 11 and plug it in. Or forget to get up and plug it in then you have a low battery the next morning. Sounds like a big inconvenience to save maybe 75 cents.

skeeter

Old 05-14-19, 06:39 PM
Received 77 Votes on 71 Posts
Put it on a timer. They make heavy duty ones. I had one for my block heater to turn it on at 5am to be ready for work.

Old 05-15-19, 06:52 AM
But you would't have to get a new Zinsco breaker. You already have a 30 amp Zinsco breaker protecting your electric clothes dryer.

So make it power a 30 amp subpanel instead (choose a modern brand subpanel). Then put two 30 amp breakers in the subpanel. One protects to the dryer. The other protects the car charger receptacle.

This way, if you accidentally use both receptacles at the same time, your subpanel "main" breaker or the 30 amp Zinsco will trip and protect your house from starting on fire. No transfer switch needed.

You can also put in a 120V convenience outlet from that subpanel.

Make sure you use the right wire type.

Just so you're aware, 30A requires #10 AWG copper wire. And ideally a car charger would have 50A, which requires #6 AWG copper wire. But you need to be sure you have the correct Zinco 50A breaker, which they don't make anymore. (Unless you want to replace your main panel with a different brand.)

Old 05-15-19, 04:29 PM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
And ideally a car charger would have 50A, which requires #6 AWG copper wire. But you need to be sure you have the correct Zinco 50A breaker

A new breaker isn't a problem, but I wouldn't invest in any Zinsco panel for myself or family.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Connecti...0250/100046004