Electric Range Tripping Breaker When Plugged In

Old 05-13-19, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric Range Tripping Breaker When Plugged In

Hey everyone,

i recently bought a used range to use in my garage as a powder coating oven. I already have an existing 240v circuit with a 20A breaker in the garage. I figured Iíd wire it up just to make sure the oven turns on and whatnot before upgrading the wiring and the circuit. I also thought that, just maybe, 20A would be enough to just run the bake cycle, as I wonít need the stovetop.

My 20A circuit has 4 12ga THHN wire - two hots, one ground, and a neutral. I used a 4-wire setup to connect the range to the circuit. The second I flip the breaker to on, it immediately trips. I donít even get a light to come on for the range. Because of this, I tested all over for any shorts, and came up with nothing. I did, however, find that flipping the breaker with 3 out of the 4 wires attached (red hot, white neutral and green ground attached, black hot detached) does not trip the breaker. This led me to check all the black wires connected to that terminal, and none are shorted to the range cabinet. I even disconnected every black hot wire on the back of the oven - This then led me to find that the breaker trips when the oven control panel is plugged in. If I leave the main connector for the control panel unplugged, I can keep the breaker on.

I fogured the oven wojld at least power on without a load on it (get the clock to turn on and such). Is it the control panel, or could it be possible that this thing actually needs the circuit to be upgraded to even just turn it on?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-19, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Very rare to see the control panel shorted.
Some control panels only control one half of the 240v power to an element so if you had a shorted element it would show up as a control board short. You said you checked for shorts but you missed something.

With a model number I could check for a wiring diagram.

Old 05-13-19, 09:32 PM
Thanks! It's about time I joined.

Using a multimeter on the continuity setting, I touched every connector on the back of the range and under the stove top to ground, and I didn't get anything. I just realized that I forgot to do the MAIN thing I set out to do, which was check the heating elements. I know I had continuity from one side to the other, when I touched the connectors on the back of the oven (where they come through the cabinet) but I suppose that would give continuity back through the wiring system even if the element were shorted. The thing I find strange about this is that I can't even plug it in without it tripping. No sign of life on the control panel. I looked in the garage panel to verify the wiring for the circuit - the two hots were secure on the breaker, and the ground and neutral each to their respective bars.

Anything else I may have missed that you could think of?

Also, here's the model number I got from inside the door.. tried looking it up, but surprisingly found just about nothing.

Kirkland (by Whirlpool) MOD# SES374HO

Thanks!

Old 05-14-19, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
That is Whirlpool appliance. The correct model is SES374HQ0.
So far I haven't been able to locate the diagram or tech sheet. You may find one in the stove.

Old 05-14-19, 01:22 PM
Yeah thatís what I came up with too, couldnít find anything for it. The little pocket for the manual on the back of the unit is empty.

Am I correct in thi king that I should at least be able to get the range to turn on, and the problem is in the range?

Old 05-15-19, 03:37 AM
Checked the elements.. the resistance readings checked out, visually they look fine. Tested the switches too, they all had matching resistance.

Is it possible the breaker is bad? It has been turned off and unused for probably at least 10 years now. Itís a 20A 2 pole GFCI breaker.

Old 05-15-19, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Check for a neutral to ground jumper in the back of the range from a three wire setup.

Old 05-15-19, 02:49 PM
Itís been removed. The previous owner must have used a 4 wire

Old 05-17-19, 08:32 PM
Just wanted to report back.. it was indeed due to a bad breaker.

Old 05-17-19, 10:31 PM
Group Moderator
Good job. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.