Changing which light the 3-way switch controls

Old 05-13-19, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing which light the 3-way switch controls

I am in the process of renovating my house, and the man I hired to do the electrical screwed the pooch. In the family room, there are recessed lights around the perimeter and a ceiling fan with a light in the center. I asked for the recessed lights to be controlled by a three-way switch (one switch at each entrance), because the ceiling fan came with a remote. He ignored me and put the ceiling fan on the three-way switch, meaning that if I want to turn on the main lights from the far side of the room, I have to first turn on the ceiling fan and walk across the room to turn on the main lights and turn off the fan. At first I told myself that it wouldn't be such a big deal, but the more I do it, the more it infuriates me. And of course, the man who did it wants me to pay him again to come and fix it. Is there any way for me to fix this myself, or should I just get a second job? I will happily add pictures if you think it's possible for a non-professional to do it herself.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-19, 06:16 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are the switches for both recessed lights and fan in the same box? Does power come inat that box?

Old 05-13-19, 06:16 PM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
It all depends on how it is wired.
It sounds like you do not have a three way but one switch that also controls the second switch. That is the second switch does not work unless the first switch is on.

In order to help you we would need to know how all the cables between the lights and switches are run.

Old 05-13-19, 06:43 PM
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
As others said it is possible to just rewire if both switches are in the same junction box and the power comes to the switch. Otherwise, you will have to cut some drywall and pull new cables.

If your existing wiring doesn't allow you to do what you require, consider some sort of remote switch.
There are few wireless switches that has a wall mountable remote switch and you can use this to turn on/off your lights remotely.

Old 05-13-19, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As I understand it, the recessed lights and the fan are in the same junction box.

My dad (who is the jack-of-all-trades type, but doesn't like the internet) is trying to help me with all of this. After reading him all of your questions and comments, he thinks that instead of running two wires to the fan, the guy split the hot wire, and he's going into the attic tomorrow to investigate. None of that really makes sense to me, but it may make sense to you. I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-13-19, 07:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
If your dad can't find what he's looking for....... turn the circuits off for the switches. Carefully pull out all switches at both locations. Don't disconnect any wiring. Post a few pictures for us. We can tell you if we need different pics or what to do.

How-to-insert-pictures