how to "secure" exposed wiring

Old 05-15-19, 03:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to "secure" exposed wiring

I'm selling my house and for safety (FHA compliance) I have to secure and enclose some loose wiring.

I'm not sure what the wiring is exactly, the wires running outside of the house may be for landscaping or some other reason and the second picture is of wires in the garage, maybe 240v connected external to the garage as well

So my question is, how do I secure and enclose these or do I pay someone to do it (and how much is reasonable)?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-19, 03:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
Need closer pictures but not so close we can't see what they are connected to.

Old 05-16-19, 05:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
There are really two principles to follow. 1) All splice, caps, wire ends must be in an accessible junction box with a cover on it. 2) All wiring, cables, conduits must be securely fastened to the framing in so that it is held in place and protected from damage.

To apply these to your case you can either install new junction boxes to contain the dangling wire ends, and cap them off with wire nuts in the boxes -- or trace the cables back to the junction box they originated from, disconnect them there, and remove the dangling ends. To secure the cables you would use wire staples to the framing. If the inspector wants additional protection in the garage you may want to use that 2x4 standing on end to make an "L" with the wall framing and staple the cables in the crotch of the "L".

Old 05-16-19, 04:19 PM
Thanks I'll take some better pictures and try to figure out where the cables are coming from

Old 05-16-19, 06:13 PM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w3qUkQA4xUnLaY9eIh6YX3392IHO1Y_A/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FuJXhElpQWFRaLl5HlQvzoWctg5cTVZX/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nezdqZO8M1Z_6uJfMK8QwYgUtDXdors5/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lefp1_qtuCQR86hQZtQz7POBjTSVxSYC/view?usp=drivesdk

Old 05-16-19, 07:52 PM
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
The wire all appear to be AC power wires. You will need to trace them out and see where they go. If they are disconnected from the power source you can just chop them off.

Old 05-17-19, 02:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
The small wires look like thermostat wires.. Was there a A/c unit there and inside the other wires look where unit was.

Old 05-18-19, 05:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 29 Posts
It looks to me that most are no longer being used. The wires outside I would find the source and remove the wires. The flex hanging out of the wall can also be demoed if no longer being used or pit into a box as the others suggested.

Old 05-18-19, 06:29 AM
None of the wires are live

I cut the ones outside and put a conduit cap on. I think those were from an irrigation timer or something.

The inside ones I just connected both ends and made a loop and fixed it to the wall. Probably should remove that too. I think that was ac wire.