any comment on the Leviton load centers?

Old 05-18-19, 07:50 PM
any comment on the Leviton load centers?

I'm looking at the 42 place 200A NEMA3R model. Galvanized, and tin plated copper bus. These may be a fairly new venture for Leviton. Any experience with these?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-19, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
That does sound like a new foray into panels for them. No experience with them here.
Leave us a link to what you are looking at.

Old 05-19-19, 05:10 AM
https://www.leviton.com/en/products/lp422-3b

Also, some unique way of wiring breakers. Actually, they don't get wired, just plugged in. L and N conductors are landed somewhere else.

Old 05-19-19, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
Your link took me to the enclosure.
I did read this.....
All hot and neutral wires terminate at custom lugs in the panel, not at the circuit breaker*, so the entire panel can be wired at rough-in without circuit breakers installed. Circuit breakers are easily plugged-on at final installation.

Mehhhhh..... I'm not impressed. Another connection for a problem.
(BTW..... 60A maximum with copper wire) I guess the quick lugs are limited.
It looks like the neutral and hot are carried thru the breaker.
Could be a plus in a home with lots of small circuits.

Product overview with interior layout
Leviton spec sheet (pdf)

Name:  lp.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  55.2 KB

Just as an aside.... I remember working for an electrician while I was in HS and for a short time after that. The Federal "No-Arc" panels/breakers were new and the hot item. We installed a lot of those panels. Most know the outcome.... the Federal panels and breakers had problems. The breakers truly were no arc..... and no trip. We'd like to think these companies learn from prior failures.

Old 05-19-19, 10:38 AM
Plus, with all the GFCI and AFCI breakers mandated, I suppose you don't have to deal with the little white pigtails.

But you can't have anything over a 60A subpanel attached, apparently.

Old 05-19-19, 10:42 AM
I haven't seen these panels in person, but I've seen some discussions about them. One concern is whether these panels take off and become popular, or whether they don't and then replacement breakers become difficult and expensive to get. This has happened in the past with new designs from major manufacturers.
Another concern I saw was this approach made it so easy to change breakers (with no wiring involved) that it made it more likely that less knowledgeable persons would be changing out breakers. And hence the oportunity to put in oversized breakers and that would be a safety issue.

Old 05-20-19, 05:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hadn't seen these yet -- they look pretty cool. Of course there's a concern about longevity of the line and potential design failures as with any new innovation. The upside is that Leviton is certainly not a newcomer to the industry having been in the electrical devices business for as long as the other guys, just not in breakers. It looks like Home Depot is the major dealer with breakers available at a few other places too. Breaker prices are roughly 1.5x other brands.

The smart breaker and hub options are interesting as is their new breaker trip technology.

The line card does list branch breakers up to 125A, they just don't use the plug-on lugs.

I'd love to hear a trip report if you end up installing this.

Old 05-21-19, 02:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I read about these a couple months ago and while they look interesting, I'm not one to jump on board anything with a 'version 1.0' label. There are definitely some positive improvements which I wouldn't be surprised if they become mainstream, but if it were me, I'd probably stick with a standard box at least until they are out for a few years.

No personal experience though with them... yet(?)