Termination box

Old 05-20-19, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Termination box

Team,
I am terminating/splicing 3 sets of 2-2-2-4 wires in a box. Two of the sets are going to enter the back wall of the box through a 2" conduit and the third set will enter through a BX on the top. I need to figure out the size box I need.
One of the sets coming through the conduit is from the 200 amp panel in the house. The second set coming in through the top is from the 200 amp panel in the garage. The third set in the conduit is leaving to go out to the generator. The wires in the 200 amp panels will be hooked into 100 amp breakers controlled by a mechanical interlock with the main breaker. In my situation allof my wires are being terminated in this box. I will be using 4 splice blocks to tie all of these wires together.
I have looked at article 314 of the NEC and I have done a lot of internet searching. Everything I see talks about sizing the box for wires transiting the box from one wall to another wall. I understand the sizing is to protect the insulation from being damaged. I see where a lof of boxes are sized by multiplying the conduit size by 6. Since my conduit is coming in through the back I'm not sure how to figure it. To me this looks just like the design of my 200 amp power panel.
I am looking at using a 12" x 12" x 6" PVC box to terminate these wires. This box is 864 cu/in, figuring there are 12 wires going into the box that is ~72 cu/in per wire. That also gives me plenty of room to dress the wires so they look neat.
Looking for references to nail down my selection.
What does the group have to offer?
Thanks
John

Sponsored Links