Clothes closet light recommendations

Old 05-24-19, 08:06 AM
Clothes closet light recommendations

Anyone know of a wired light that can be mounted anywhere in a closet that says it meets the NEC requirements? I'm looking at a small closet that has no room over the door and limited ceiling space.

Per NEC a regular surface LED needs 12" clearance, recessed 6". I have used surface fluorescents that need 6" clearance but would rather use an LED.

Originally Posted by NEC 410.16(C)(5)
Surface-mounted fluorescent or LED luminaires shall be permitted to be installed within the closet storage space where identified for this use.
Only one I found is SLD4xJB LED but costs a bit more than I expected.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-19, 10:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would imagine any LED surface mount fixture would be suitable for that use, though the cheaper manufacturers probably don't advertise it as such.

I usually but the $8-12 LED surface mount fixtures for basement lighting that look like the Eaton, but are much more cost-effective. They aren't marked as NEC 410.16 compliant... but I would imagine they are pretty much the same.

Curious to see others' feedback who are more NEC versed.

Old 05-24-19, 11:35 AM
I realized you said wired, but with that mounting limitation I would consider a motion activated lithium/LED operated light.

Old 05-24-19, 01:57 PM
Wanted something permanent. Also found https://www.topaz-usa.com/indoor-fix...t-disk-lights/ for $15 but don't know the brand.