Junction Box with continuous wire

Old 05-25-19, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Junction Box with continuous wire

Hello All,

I am in the process of remodeling the basement of my typical 1950's ranch style house and have a few electrical questions. It seems over the years the previous homeowner of 50 years Frankenstein-ed a lot of things together and used whatever he had. Because of that I now have a couple hidden junction boxes that will be covered up by my new stud walls or ceiling. The odd thing is that the wires are continuous through the boxes. Their only function is to elbow or extend conduit runs. I have attached a picture to show what i mean. Is it allowable to cover these up in this case? Thanks in advance!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-19, 11:01 AM
Received 33 Votes on 27 Posts
Technically by code you are not to conceal it because of the removable cover making it a pull point even though there are no splices. It may be possible to replace the box with a sweep 90 if there are not too many other turns to exceed 360deg of turns.

joed voted this post useful.
Old 05-25-19, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the more people i talk to it seems like i cant cover it up. the worst part about it is that it is located where i need fire blocking and a top plate. I guess i will just get creative around it and provide a wall blank in front of it. i really dont want to pull the wires back through some conduit. Thanks!

Old 05-26-19, 05:41 AM
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Hi, how far are you extending the wall out? Will an extension box work?
Geo