Portable generator Issue...

Old 05-25-19, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Portable generator Issue...

I'm a little confused about the state of a used generator that I just picked up and I'm in the process of repairing. It is a 6.5 kW continuous unit that I replaced the generator head on. The panel has two 120V/20A duplex receptacles, and one 240V/30A receptacle. It is an un-bonded neutral/ground unit. In the process of connecting the electrical portion (the removal and installation of the actual head is another whole story), I found this...the 240 receptacle ground terminal is connected to the frame of the generator, but the ground terminals on the 120 receptacles are not connected to anything. This strikes me as odd, because I'm assuming this set was in use this way. So if someone can give me their thoughts on why this is like this I'm very interested to learn everything i can about it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-19, 05:27 PM
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
If the receptacle is mounted on the metal frame or panel, then it may have been grounded through the frame.

Old 05-25-19, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good call. I checked it with the ohmmeter and the metal bodies of the two 120 receptacles are common with the ground, which means you're right...they grounded through the screws to the frame. BUT I still wonder why the 240 receptacle had an actual wire. It also has a metal frame that is connected to the ground prong.

Old 05-26-19, 06:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
UT I still wonder why the 240 receptacle had an actual wire.
Likely because they do not make self-grounding 240 devices. The 120-volt receptacles are grounded through the yoke/strap.