Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Help wiring in new Irrigation controller/timer 2-wires vs 3-wires.

Old 05-26-19, 04:17 PM

Hi guys,

I bought a Orbit 57946 B-hyve WiFi irrigation timer to replace a 20-year old Hunter timer.

I'm NO professional electrician, but I believe this I am capable with a little help...

The original timer is hard wired to the house fuse box located next to it. I turned the breaker off, removed the old unit and when I was about to put the new one in I realized I have an extra wire.

Original one was two-wires to the transformer. The new one has two red wires, and one green wire (new unit has a three-pin wall plug, but manual says it can be hard-wired by disconnecting it.

I want to check -- Am i right in assuming this 3rd green wire is a GND wire for the wall plug? Is the original unit just two live wires, and I just wire them both into the two red wires and remove the green wire? The green wire on the new transformer just has a screw holding it on, so it can be completely removed.

I dont want to mess up the new controller my wiring wrong, so want to verify if someone can assure me? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-19, 05:09 PM
Upvotes Received: 46
Yes the green wire is a ground.

Old 05-26-19, 11:34 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
The white and black connect to the red transformer leads. The ground gets attached on the mounting screw for the transformer. Treat the red wires gently.

Name:  bee.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  22.5 KB

Old 05-27-19, 06:31 AM
Well thatís what Iím saying- I only have black and white wires from fuse box. Do I connect black and white to red wires and disconnect the green since I only have two wires?

Old 05-27-19, 07:37 AM
Upvotes Received: 1
The green is a ground and is needed for your safety, not for the function of the equipment. That said, unless this is fed from a GFCI breaker or receptacle ( as code says it needs to be), at the very least it needs to be grounded with an appropriate equipment grounding conductor that provides a ground path back to the main or source panel where the breaker/fuse is. You donít want stray voltage on the system with no way back to the OCP, putting yourself or you family in danger of shock in the event of a short. Iím curious why it is hard wired. Typically these are cord and plug connected, providing you a disconnect point and the ability to install a GFCI receptacle, which would provide life safety if no equipment grounding conductor was available.

PJmax voted this post as helpful.
Old 05-27-19, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
Hmmmm...... that transformer isolates the system from the AC line. Technically only the transformer body is grounded. It would work fine without a connected ground but if the transformer every shorted internally.... there could be line voltage AC on the system. A GFI would protect what you have using only two wires and no available ground. .