Identify this device connected to main panel

Old 05-27-19, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Identify this device connected to main panel

Noticed this box connected to my main panel. House painters painted over it 20 yrs ago so not sure what it is. 2 black wires connected at the point where the run to the inside (garage) panel is along with a normal white wire to the ground bus. Not sure why this is there if it is a surge protection device as they are normally connected to 2 dedicated circuit breakers. Notice it is pinched at the main connection with a allen screw's and I am not loosening those up, maybe snip the device wires off. I believe that opening the main breaker will remove any voltage there. Have volt meter to make sure.

Attached Images  
Old 05-27-19, 07:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
That is.surge.protection that has improperly been connected. Those lugs are only for one conductor. You are correct that those wires are live all the time.

Old 05-27-19, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
I believe that opening the main breaker will remove any voltage there.
Yes..... if the main breaker is outside by the meter.
Always good to check with meter or tester to confirm.

Old 05-28-19, 02:01 PM
Yes this is outside below the meter. From under ground source, thru "metal conduit" inside the panel and fed from the top. This outside main panel has 6 CB slots that feed one common wall between 2 bedrooms and 1 eye brow light in the living room. Totally weird as the remainder of the house is fed from breaker panel in garage. When I remove it, will saw it apart and look inside unless it is fully molded, otherwise I might "adjust" it with my 2 lb hammer. :-) Tx again.. Mike

Old 05-29-19, 07:33 AM
Received 71 Votes on 61 Posts
It is a surge protector. I have one on my electric service (on the meter box I think) at my vacation home in Maine. I think the electric utility required it when the house was built in 1980.

Why not just leave it there as is?

Old 05-29-19, 08:10 AM
T
Received 47 Votes on 46 Posts
Surge protectors are a good idea, but most require upstream protection. MOV's have been know to flame out. There are some newer design MOV's that have thermal protection, but $ to donuts, those don't. That picture shows at least two issues; sharing those lugs, no OCP on the surge, and those wires going to the bottom left breaker look quite small to me. What AWG are those?

Old 05-30-19, 06:51 PM
That old one has been there since new, 20 yrs ago. Changing to newer type [Eaton]and will be removing it tomorrow. I would guess the wire AWG is 16-18, will post back when I can look at it. Finished work today in preparation for the install. The old one was installed before the "stucco" guys did the house. It was encased with a good 1/2 inch of stucco and had to chisel it free. Old one was horizontal, new one vertical and had to temporarily move the land line terminal box to have clear access.

Old 05-31-19, 11:39 AM
Finished the install this morning. Old Surge removed. 2 green lights

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: