Short run of electrical wire in pvc

Old 05-29-19, 02:04 PM
Short run of electrical wire in pvc

Several years ago I ran an electrical wire from an outlet to my fireplace so I could install an insert. These wires were run outside. Instead of running them down into the ground I ran them directly on the side of the house (in the pvc). Would this be an issue in the event I sold the house in the future? The run is about a total of eight feet. 14/2 wire in 1/2 inch pvc.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-19, 03:16 PM
Group Moderator
The PVC run is perfectly acceptable however standard NM-b type cable (romex) is not allowed to be used outside in or out of conduit. If you are just using the PVC as a sleeve.... you should be using UF type weatherproof cable.

Old 05-30-19, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
Romex (NM-b) CANNOT be run outside under any condition or in any location.
PVC is used routinely for conduit on a structure. It will take many years to become brittle.
(You may have a specific problem with the Arizona sun)

NM-b and UF can be run in short sections of conduit for protection. There really is no code that specifically says it cannot be run in conduit..... it's just hard to pull thru.

Old 05-30-19, 12:50 PM
Electrical PVC conduit is UV resistant and the worst sun exposure effect is surface discoloration.

Bhavaanee liked this post.
Old 05-31-19, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the replies to this. I will have to redo this using UF Cable. DRANGd said, "Romex or UF cable is never allowed in conduit of any sort." What am I not understanding about that statement? Is it just terminology? The cable would have to be put inside of something whether I ran it down into the ground or as I did, around the corner to the chimney. Thanks.

Old 05-31-19, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
UF is outdoor cable. It can be run underground with no conduit.
It can be run along outside the house as long as it's attached and protected.

Old 06-07-19, 11:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"Romex or UF cable is never allowed in conduit of any sort."
While it's usually recommended to use individual wires when running conduit, there's nothing prohibiting UF-B or NM-B in conduit for protection. You need to size it correctly and for any long runs, it can be a pain to pull.... but no code-related issues with it.

Old 06-08-19, 04:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
To clarify my post:
While it's usually recommended to use individual wires when running conduit, there's nothing prohibiting UF-B or NM-B in conduit for protection.
You still need to use appropriately rated cable outside (UF-B) even if it's in conduit as others have stated. Being inside conduit doesn't make it an 'interior' space.