RIP Murray breakers and panels

Old 05-29-19, 08:10 PM
RIP Murray breakers and panels

I just ran across this: https://www.industry.usa.siemens.com...ayconnect.aspx

Products, Solutions & Services from Siemens with Murray
Murray Phase-Out in 2020

The Murray brand will be phased out and replaced by equal Siemens products. This is being done to adjust to changing markets, plan ahead for the future, as well as improve supply chain stability and inventory position. The phase-out will be accomplished in two steps: 1) the production of Murray Circuit Breakers and Small Circuit Load Centers will discontinue in December of 2019, and 2) the production of Murray Rock Solid Load Centers will discontinue in July of 2020.

Murray Meter Combos, Small Circuit Load Centers, and Breakers are typically identical apart from labeling. Rock Solid Load Centers have Siemens equals in function and size. Customers can expect the same high quality product, previously Murray, to now have the high quality Siemens name. For over 160 years, Siemens has produced excellent performing electrical products in the market that provide increased levels of safety. With its long history of engineering and innovation, Siemens Residential products implement advanced technology to guarantee performance and reliability. We look forward to a continued partnership with you!

For comments or questions, please contact your local Siemens sales representative. For product replacements please use the cross reference guide found below.

Murray to Siemens Cross Reference
Siemens Residential Circuit Breakers
Siemens Residential Load Centers
The Murray brand is owned by Siemens. They bought it from Cooper who bought Crouse-Hinds who bought the original Murray .

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-19, 03:04 AM
Murray breakers were already replaced with exactly the same as Siemens with just different label.
It didn't make much sense to keep 2 different brand names for exactly same product.

Old 05-30-19, 07:06 AM
Right - the current breakers are derived from the Gould/ITE buyout. Most of the Murray panels are different as they do have the old ground bars - "swiss cheese style" - that were carried over from Crouse-Hinds.

Surprising info from one document as it references plug-on neutral panels. I guess Siemens is planning on following Homeline's model with new ground and arc fault breakers. This wouldn't work with the Murray ground/neutral bars so maybe that was what made their decision to shut down the brand.

Old 05-30-19, 01:06 PM
Murray breakers were already replaced with exactly the same as Siemens with just different label.
It didn't make much sense to keep 2 different brand names for exactly same product.

In the past the Siemens and Murray breakers were not UL Listed for use in each other's panels so I am wondering what Siemens is planning on doing in the future for replacement breakers in all the existing Murray panels out there. Just curious and think I may do a little research on it.

Old 05-30-19, 01:52 PM
FYI - I got a new Murray panel that had Siemens QP, etc. breakers listed on the inside cover as compatible. I assume they had the current panels tested/listed for using QP but maybe even updated listings for older panels? Would be costly but considered part of the overall cost of transitioning the brand. No other good way to handle the lifetime warranty which Siemens shows offering on Murray products in 1994.

Old 05-31-19, 08:14 AM
Thinking they do have a way to make this simpler. Siemens could dual-label their breakers like Eaton/Cutler-Hammer/Challenger/Westinghouse/Bryant did. They now put Type C and BR on their standard breakers so Siemens could put Type QP and MP on their labels and be done with it.

Old 06-04-19, 09:31 AM
I got a new Murray panel that had Siemens QP, etc. breakers listed on the inside cover as compatible.
Sounds to me like Siemens had the breakers UL Listed for interchangeability in preparation for killing the Murray brand.