Testers call this " Hot and ground reversed "

Old 05-31-19, 08:06 AM
Exclamation Testers call this " Hot and ground reversed "

Hello,

I recently changed my ceiling lamp for a new one, and it works well. However, I noticed that on the left side of my living room all my outlets no longer work. I tried plugging in a lamp that i know works in all the left side but it dosen't work.

I noticed this when i was installing the cable at my house the man had an outlet tester and it read "Hot and ground reversed ", on all the outlets on that side of the living room (the other side works and the ceiling lights work as well).

Did something go wrong in my lamp insallation?
Any ideas on how to proceed?

thank-you

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-19, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Tell us about all the wires at the light. The dead receptacles may be fed from there.

If you have only two wires at the switch the previous suggestion is likely.

Old 05-31-19, 09:15 AM
It's likely that the neutral wire connection to those problem outlets routes through the electrical box above the light fixture, and they got disconnected when you did your fixture replacement. There is probably a wire nut that connects a group of white wires and that is where your problem resides.

If you have a multimeter, I suggest testing the voltages across the contacts in one of the problem outlets. The best way to check for a disconnected neutral would be to:
1.) plug an incandescent light into a bad receptacle to provide a "load" from the hot side to neutral. Of course the light needs to be turned on.
2.) measure the voltage between the 3 socket contacts on the other outlet of the duplex receptacle. You should get about 120V from the narrow (hot) slot to the wide (neutral) slot, and close to zero volts from the neutral slot to ground. If the neutral to ground voltage is high that confirms that the neutral is disconnected and you should remove the light fixture to repair the connections of the white wires.

Old 05-31-19, 10:17 AM
Hot ground reversed on those testers usually means an open neutral. Check all the white wire connections. Could even be in a good working box.

Old 05-31-19, 10:52 AM
Did the non-working room outlets work before you changed the ceiling lamp? How many wires did you change when you changed the ceiling lamp?

Old 05-31-19, 11:54 AM
Yes the oulets worked before I installed the light. there are 3 wires in my lamp, however in the ceiling there are more
2 white wires
1 red
2 black wires that are connected with one another ( i did not touch those wires)
and 2 copper coloured wires that are not covered (the ground i assume?)

Old 05-31-19, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
there are 3 wires
We would say two wires. Grounds don't count.

Redo the wire nuts on the black and the white wire connections. If the wire nuts don't have metal insert replace with ones that do.

Old 06-01-19, 04:49 AM
OP, which wires (listed in post 6) did you disconnect to change the ceiling light?