Panel - Outlet - Outlet - Outlet - Switch

Old 06-01-19, 01:46 PM
Panel - Outlet - Outlet - Outlet - Switch

Howdy!
I'm trying to wire a pole barn for some plug in type LED lighting to go overhead. I'm trying to wire 3 duplex receptacles that can be controlled with a switch at the end of the run. Could someone share a diagram of this? I've tried and tried to get it right, but I am stumped. I have 14-2 wire coming from my breaker box, going into my first receptacle box, 14-2 to the next box, 14-2 to the next box, and 14-2 to the switch.
I've got everything in my barn wired, but the duplex receptacle switched overhead is driving me nuts. Thank you for any help you might be willing to give me.

TFB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-19, 02:29 PM
Group Moderator
You need 14-3. Power goes to the switch on the black. Then back to the receptacles on the red.

Attached Images  
joed, tallfarmboy liked this post.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-01-19 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-01-19, 04:59 PM
Your drawing is going to switch the whole outlet. Is that your intention?
Half switched will require removing the tab on the power side and landing the black/hot to each recpt. Say on the bottom.
I am assuming that your making the power/black up in each box for convenience.
I personally do not like using the outlet as part of the circuit. I would pig tail the neutral to at each box and land ONE neutral wire to each outlet. Same for your red/switched wire.
I have not done residential in a long time , I do not remember any NEC code that requires a neutral in the switch box. Might be a local code issue.

Old 06-01-19, 05:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The requirement for as neutral at the switch was added to the NEC in the last cycle or two.

Old 06-01-19, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
Your drawing is going to switch the whole outlet. Is that your intention?
Yes. O/P wrote:
trying to wire 3 duplex receptacles that can be controlled with a switch at the end of the run.... the duplex receptacle switched overhead..... trying to wire a pole barn for some plug in type LED lighting to go overhead
Since overhead no indication they were to be used except for lighting. One could assume two lights plugged in. Only the O/P can say exactly

Old 06-01-19, 09:39 PM
Y'all, this is exactly what I was looking for. I really didn't think I needed 14-3 because I wasn't wiring a 3-way switch. For the sake of discussion, is this possible with 14-2 wire?
And, for clarification, I don't want the duplex outlets split... There will be 2 light fixtures plugged into each outlet.
This is why I love the internet. Thank you all for the great help.

Old 06-01-19, 10:20 PM
Group Moderator
14-2 could only be used if you brought power to the switch first.

I really didn't think I needed 14-3 because I wasn't wiring a 3-way switch
14-3 has many uses, not just 3-way switches.

Even though lights do not usually need GFCI protection since you are using receptacles they should be. However the GFCI protection will need to be either a breaker or a GFCI switch or a deadface GFCI in the same box as the switch because the height of the receptacle would make them inaccessible and code requires a GFCI to be accessible. .

tallfarmboy liked this post.
Old 06-04-19, 08:17 AM
Thank you for your help! My pole barn is officially wired up! LED lights should be arriving today.