Add Outlet to Switch

Old 06-02-19, 07:02 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add Outlet to Switch

Hello,

I've not had a problem doing this in the past, but have run into a strange wiring situation.Im trying to wire an outlet off of an existing switch in my basement utility room. The switch currently turns on 3 different lights and only has a single wire coming to it (white on top, black on bottom, and grounded to the box. Power is coming to the switch from the white wire. How would I connect a new wire to this switch wiring for an outlet?

The wire coming to the switch goes to one of the lights with a mess of wiring in it's junction box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-02-19, 07:16 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
only has a single wire coming to it
No, a single 2-conductor cable.
How would I connect a new wire to this switch wiring for an outlet
You can't. You have no neutral, just two hots.

joed voted this post useful.
Old 06-15-19, 12:41 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possible confusion

If one doesn't understand completely when looking at a box that has a light switch with a white and black in it one might think I have a neutral there. the white wire in the box at the switch is not a neutral. that is how most electricians identify a power wire coming down from a junction box to the switch. if you trace that back to a junction box that white wire will be tied to probably a few black ones which one ultimately comes from power panel and the others feed power to other areas in the house. I have seen way too many times people trying to add Outlets to a light switch thinking I have a power and I have a neutral I have a black and a white and they don't understand why it does not work well I just explain that reason please do not get electrocuted turn power off when working with electricity

Old 06-15-19, 05:16 AM
Received 154 Votes on 140 Posts
Hi, you will need to replace the 2 wire cable with a 3 wire from the light fixture.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: