Diagram for new lights/switch/wiring.

Old 06-04-19, 01:48 AM
Diagram for new lights/switch/wiring.

m going to be installing 4 recessed lights in my bedroom on two switches -- two on each switch. I'll be cutting some cable that is running through the attic, splitting it in a new junction box and sending it off to the switches/lights. I've already identified the breaker/circuit and there's not much on there anymore since the central AC has long since been disconnected.

This will be my first experience with wiring/electrical. Does this look ok?

Name:  rsz_diagram.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  34.8 KB

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 06-04-19 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Crop image.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-19, 04:18 AM
Hi, the circuit looks good, go for it!
Geo

Old 06-04-19, 05:16 AM
Just make sure the cable you want to cut has enough slack to pull minimum of 6 inches from each side into the box. Most of the time you do not have it.
Also what is the cable you are cutting? I have seen a switch leg be cut into and there is no neutral available.

Old 06-04-19, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The romex has hot, neutral and ground. The house is old, but most of the house actually uses BX cable with all 3 -- there is a octo-junction box up there where the BX cable splits into romex. That box is at capacity, really, so I want to create my split in a new box. As long as I have slack, can the new junction box just be a few feet away -- does distance matter?

Also, if I use a plastic/pvc junction box, does that mean I don't need the pigtail ground?

Old 06-04-19, 07:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If this run was for central air most likely this is a 240 volt circuit. You would need to make changes in the breaker box.

Old 06-04-19, 09:46 PM
There is just one single outlet on the 2nd floor that is on this circuit -- can I test it with a meter to find out ?

Old 06-05-19, 05:23 PM
Nevermind, I was able to confirm that it is a different circuit than the one the AC used to be on.

It's strange how this circuit seemingly only has the attic ventilation fan, one single outlet in one of the bedrooms and nothing else. Meanwhile, another circuit has 11 outlets on it... why..

Old 06-05-19, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
It would appear that the circuit may have been added later or installed originally with a specific purpose..... mainly the single receptacle for an A/C. Usually a single receptacle denotes a dedicated circuit. Possibly the fan was added on later.