2 simple wiring questions

Old 06-04-19, 12:28 PM
2 simple wiring questions

Make that three questions regarding wiring a new bathroom ceiling heater/fan/light as I replace an old heater/light:

I have an attic with a tiny crawl space up there. The rafters up there are basically 2 X 4's. When running romex across these, should it be stapled to the rafters (every 4 feet)? And must I drill holes for the romex to pass through or can I just run over the rafters?

And finally, I'm confused by NuTone's diagram. There's a pigtail of 3 grounded wires at the NuTone box. One of them appears to go into the right conduit, but never comes out the other end. So I'm guessing that it's supposed to be screwed onto the clamp maybe? In addition to the Romex, I have a preexisting metallic conduit already running to the NuTone box, so I could attach to that conduit's clamp.

Page 3 (Step 5 has the wiring instructions)...
https://images.homedepot-static.com/...1bf4a9c5a9.pdf

Do they make a junction box that attaches to the little junction "chamber" on this NuTone? It's ridiculously cramped in there. No way I'm gonna cram all of the wires and pigtails in there.

Last edited by AndyRooney; 06-04-19 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-19, 12:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When running romex in the attic, you need to run it alongside a framing member for protection if you are within 6 feet of the attic access hole. When running perpendicular to the framing, add a 2x4 nailed across the tops to protect the cable. When running parallel, just staple it to the side of the ceiling joists. Do not drill through the ceiling or roof framing. If further than 6 feet from the access hole, you can staple it directly to the tops of the ceiling joists.

The boxes built in to the fan are generally only big enough for minimal wiring to enter. If you have other splicing to do I would recommend installing a box nearby in the attic to make your splices, then you can run a single cable (ideally 14/2/2 if available) or a 14/3 + 14/2 if not to make connections inside the fan box. The factory supplied ground wires are often crimped to the metal box, you just need to wirenut them to your incoming supply circuit ground(s).

AndyRooney liked this post.
Old 06-04-19, 03:25 PM
add a 2x4 nailed across the tops to protect the cable
So I'm guessing that you use a router to cut a groove under the piece of 2X4 so the wires doesn't get crunched?

Old 06-04-19, 03:28 PM
No groove. Run the 2x along side the cables. It prevents anything from being piled directly on top of the cables and causing damage.

Old 06-04-19, 03:36 PM
Something like this?

By the way, is metallic conduit supposed to treated in the same way? I see in my attic that there's conduit running all over, going over the rafters (within 6 feet of the crawl opening). House built in 1956.

Old 06-04-19, 05:42 PM
Metalic conduit is fine. The conduit is protecting the wires inside.
By metalic conduit I mean metal pipes not armoured cable.

Old 06-05-19, 05:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your picture is OK. You can also run the 2x4 the whole length and staple the cable along the "2" side of the 2x4. It's so someone can't crawl on the cable or pile boxes on it.