Putting my fridge on a dedicated circuit using 12/3

Old 06-07-19, 04:41 PM
Putting my fridge on a dedicated circuit using 12/3

I have 12/3 running from my panel to my outlets on the garage... The black wire are used for my outlets and I want to use the red for just the refrigerator in my garage. I am on 20 amp single pole breakers for each. I have a gfci outlet at the first outlet before the outlet for the frig... everytime i turn on the breaker for the frig the gfci trips.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-19, 05:55 PM
Do you have them on different phase?
You should put a handle tie between 2 breakers or use 2 pole breaker for multi wire branch circuit.

I have a gfci outlet at the first outlet before the outlet for the frig.
How was the GFCI wired?
Is 12/3 running to GFCI and then again to the refrigerator?
You should have white and black wire of 12/3 to line side of the GFCI and then run connect white (on the line side) and red wire continue to the refrigerator.

Old 06-07-19, 06:04 PM
Having trouble following your post. Each 20A breaker should have it own cable (hot, neutral and ground) going to the garage. One cable goes to the outlet for the refrigerator. The other cable will power the rest of the garage. Is this what you want to accomplish?

Old 06-07-19, 06:18 PM
Each 20A breaker should have it own cable
It is possible to share a single neutral in multi wire branch circuit setup. They just have to be on different phase to keep neutral from overloading.

Old 06-09-19, 05:57 AM
Do not connect any of the three wires of the 12-3 cable to the load terminals of a GFCI receptacle.

If you wish to use the load terminals, add a new 12-2 cable from there as a sub branch or subcircuit to the additional outlets that want GFCI protection.

Suggestion for installing GFCI units: Wire up just the line terminals. Turn on the power and verify that the receptacles in the GFCI unit along with the test button work properly and all of the other outlets wired up so far are working. After that, wire up the load terminals if applicable. Electrical tape may be wrapped around the receptacle body to prevent metal to metal contact since that will be hanging loose during the first few tests.

Load terminals are not used simply as additional screws or terminals. If two wires want to go under one screw, cut a short length of wire of the same color (red and black can be mixed) and connect that to the screw. Wire nut together the other end of this pigtail and the otehr two wires in question. Exception: two wires can go under one screw provided they don't touch each other and neither can slide sideways, even partially, out from under the screw just before the screw is tightened.