Adding to oven circuit

Old 06-08-19, 10:57 AM
Adding to oven circuit

I'm currently remodeling my kitchen and am moving from a single range/oven to a cooktop and separate wall oven/microwave combo. I'm attaching a screen cap of the new layout. The location of the cooktop is where our existing oven is. There are both gas and electrical hookups at this location. The cooktop will be gas, so I won't be using the electrical outlet. For the wall ovens, I need a 30a outlet about 5ft to the left of the existing outlet. I'm wondering if I can just access the existing outlet and tie in in another length of matching gauge wire that I'd run through the wall to the new outlet location. I'd leave both outlets exposed in the cabinets, but the one under the cooktop wouldn't be used. From my reading, it seems that you can consider a cooktop and double wall ovens a single appliance, which can be on the same circuit.

Does this plan sound Ok?

Edit: The existing circuit is only 3 wire. Also, there isn't an outlet box. The wire just exits the wall and runs into an external outlet box.

Edit 2: It appears the oven circuit is actually 50a. Presumably, that means the new outlet should be 50a as well.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-19, 12:43 PM
Group Moderator
You can extend the wiring with 30A cable (10-2) and put a 2P30A breaker in the panel.

Typically wall ovens come with a whip which means it must be connected to a junction box. A plug can't be installed on the whip. You can use two junction boxes to extend the wiring. Be sure the oven is listed as a 240v appliance and not 120/240v.

Old 06-12-19, 08:26 AM
Be sure the oven is listed as a 240v appliance and not 120/240v.

This is an important point. That being said, I have seen more than just a few built-in ranges meant to be hardwired spec'd as 240 volt, but the whip contained 4 wires; 1 Black, 1 Red, 1 White and 1 Green ground. If you have a 4 wire whip, the REAL actual voltage is 120/240 volts and a 3-wire feed (2 Hots and 1 Bare Ground) cannot be used.

Old 07-13-19, 10:51 AM
Ok, have my cabinets and I'm going to get this going. Have a couple more questions.

So my plan is to remove the drywall and pull back the existing oven wire until I have enough slack to enter through the top portion of the cooktop cabinet to mount it something like: http://rvpe.com/wild/induction_plugs.jpg

Then in that same junction box, I'll add some flexible metal conduit that I'll run back through the wall to the location of the double oven and wire it into a junction box at the appropriate height.

Does this plan seem ok? Here are my specific questions:
1) The existing range wire is just poking through the wall at the floor without any conduit. Is it when I pull it back to get some slack if it pokes through the cabinet without conduit as long as it's secured to the back? If not, can I just slide some flex conduit over it where it pokes out through the wall?
2) For my cooktop, I won't actually be using the 240v circuit, but I do need a 120v plug. I'm assuming the best course of action for this would be to extend one of my existing 20a circuits in the kitchen and run a new branch that exists the wall near the oven wire? Also, is it ok to leave that as just plan romex exiting the wall. I'm certain my existing boxes are plastic and aren't designed for conduit.