Outlet lost power and can't get it back

Old 06-08-19, 01:35 PM
Outlet lost power and can't get it back

Hello,
I was power washing outside using the outdoor outlet and all of a sudden I lost power. I figured I just tripped a breaker but all the breakers were in tact. I tested the plug and still no power, I switched off the main power. Still no power. I took the outlet out and noticed a quarter of the outlet was cracked so I replace the outlet. I still don't have power to the plug. The wires are just dead. When I test them their is no electricity in the romex at all. Everything else in the house has power. There is a romex that comes out of this box and goes to the microwave and the mwave is still working.

Is there any explanation why this 1 run of romex has no power? I replaced the outlet, cut the wires, stripped them back and shut the main off again and still no power. I'm pretty sure the romex comes from a kitchen light and that light is working too. Water may have gotten into the plug while I was power washing, would that do something? I'm stumped.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-19, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
If it's an outside receptacle...... it should be on a GFI. Check all the GFI's in your house. Check in the garage and basement. It was very popular to use one GFI receptacle to run several other regular receptacles in other areas of the house.

If you're 100% certain there is no GFI device...... then a connection burned open or came loose. If that's the case.... you need to identify everything on the problem circuit. Determine what is working and what is not. The problem will be between the two.

Old 06-08-19, 07:03 PM
Thanks! It was the GFCI. Why would it only kill 1 receptacle though? Shouldn't it kill everything attached to that run of Romex? Just curious.

Old 06-08-19, 07:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It was either the end of the fun of only used the line.side.terminals and did not provide downstream protection.