Main breaker popping at exactly same time every evening

Old 06-11-19, 01:51 AM
Main breaker popping at exactly same time every evening

Since around the first of May we have had this really strange electrical problem. The main breaker in our house has popped almost every day since then , like a timed bomb at 7:40 - 7:50 pm. Our house is relatively new and there is really no specific appliance that is working when the breaker pops. The weird thing is it pops right around the time the street light turns on. Today we had a team of electricians inspect the problem and they were puzzled as well. They thought the problem is the dishwasher,but I dont think thats likely because the breaker pops even when the dishwasher is not working. I really dont know what we are missing here?

Moderator note: member location is Macedonia.

Last edited by PJmax; 06-12-19 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-19, 04:05 AM
Do you have any power company remote controlled time-of-day appliances such as an electric water heater?

The following steps can be done on your own with hiring any electricians.

A few minutes in advance, flip off a few side breakers (branch circuit breakers) in the panel, wait for the street light to go on and a few more minutes, and see if the main breaker still trips. Repeat with the same group of breakers a few days. Then repeat with a different group of breakers.

This should help narrow down on the problem.

Old 06-11-19, 06:36 AM
You need to put a recording meter on the service to record the current and voltage.

Old 06-11-19, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

This is primarily a North American based site so our answers are typically based on our circumstances. You should put non US in your bio.

You have 230v 50hz power and if you follow European design you have an RCD breaker that is tripping.....is that correct ?

Old 06-11-19, 09:45 AM
If only the main breaker is opening ( none of the branch circuit breakers are opening), this points to the breaker panel's main breaker and/or the breaker busses as the source of the short. What is the amp rating of the main breaker?

Old 06-11-19, 11:09 AM
It seems like it isnt the street light becaue it just popped like 3 times in the afternoon. Still strange i swear it happened almost exactly at sundown each day. And yeah none of the branch breakers only the main one. Perhaps the solar heating? Yes it is rcd type and we use 230v

Old 06-11-19, 11:57 AM
RCD I believe is like our GFCI. It could be a ground leakage. Do you have any buried cable perhaps for lights that come on at dusk? Try turning that circuit off for a day.

Old 06-11-19, 01:58 PM
It seems to me that if there was ground leakage from from something like a buried outdoor lights that the breaker wouldnít be able to be reset and stay on as long as it did.

The street light thing sounds pretty unlikely but you could measure the voltage drop with a multimeter between the screw terminals of the RCD.

Have you tried shutting off various branch circuits and seeing if it still trips?

Old 06-11-19, 02:02 PM
And yeah none of the branch breakers only the main one.
this makes it sound to me (layman not an electrician so take with a grain of salt) like itís a ground fault since the overcurrent protection for the RCD breaker should be higher than any of the branch circuits. Just shut them off one at a time during this time and after a few days you should be able to see which circuit is responsable for the tripping

Old 06-11-19, 05:58 PM
Ok will try tripping the other breakers . Can i be sure its not the dishwasher though? Because as i said it pops even when the dishwasher is not working and none of the other breakers pops ( we have breakers on our floor too and they all stay up) . And one detail i forgot to say is that right around the time the problem started ( i think the day before) some kids played with casette tapes outside and now that stuff is wrapped around the power lines which are like 5 cm from our house( the wind blew it there). Doubt it has any impact but worth mentioning i guess

Last edited by Laki333; 06-11-19 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-11-19, 06:01 PM
It could very easily be the dishwasher, unplug it and see if that helps.

casette tapes
im sorry, Iím too young to know what this means

Old 06-11-19, 06:51 PM
That would be before your breaker so I don't see any way it could be the cause.

Old 06-12-19, 05:14 AM
Does the main breaker trip at the appointed time no matter what combination of branch circuit breakers were manually flipped off prior to the tripping?

(Be sure to make sure the refrigerator circuit is flipped on and the refrigerator is on after the testing is done for the evening and the main breaker did or did not pop.)

Old 06-12-19, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
The European panel setup differs from our own as many times the panel has a disconnect..... then an RCD or two and then the breakers. Someone that knows the exact panel setup should be doing the investigating there. We can only guess at this end.

Old 06-12-19, 12:46 PM
Pictures might help, cowers should be removed to see the wires, but please do not take any risks.
I'm living in Norway, and we have similar supply, but national differences may occur.

The Norwegian NEK and the US NEC differs in several ways, but the systems are still built after the same princips.

dsk