Installing two split aircons on one circuit, wire sizing

Old 06-12-19, 07:30 AM
Installing two split aircons on one circuit, wire sizing

I am installing two split aircons and would like to do it on one 220V breaker in the panel. The run from the breaker would be just through the outside wall behind the panel. The label on aircon one says 220-230 volt with max power of 1.2 kW, current max is 3.7 - 3.39 A, power is .77 kW.
The second aircon reads Power max 1.8 kW, current max 8.5A, current 5.15A.
I need to know what size breakers and what size wire to run. I intend to put another breaker/switch on the outside wall and then run to the aircons from there. That run will be around 5 feet and the aircons will be sitting next to each other.
Thanks,
Randy

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-19, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
You want to install one 2P breaker in the main panel. That means outside you'd need a little sub panel with two 2P breakers. The inside breaker would be a 2P30 and the ones outside would be 2P15's. You would run 10-2 w/gr from the main panel to the sub panel. You could use #14 wiring to each unit.

Usually the minimum circuit ampacity and protection device size are on the units ID tag. If it's not listed.... 15A would be the minimum size you could run.

Old 06-13-19, 07:59 AM
Thanks PJmax, I just saw on my tag I'm still listed as being in the PI, but I'm here in Wa. state now so I will run down to Lowes and pick up the supplies, it's getting hot here and I need the aircons.