Splicing common wires safe? Irrigation control

Old 06-14-19, 08:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Splicing common wires safe? Irrigation control

Hello,

short version: can I wire 2 seperate common wires together in an irrigation system? See image

I inherited an irrigation system that seems to have cut corners everywhere possible. For example, they set up 6 zones with a 5 zone controller. They did this by using the pump controller as the 6th valve controller. Pretty clever, actually, but the controller died and now I have to rewire it. Using the pump control also gave them a second common wire connection point and allowed them to split the clusters of valves into 2, using 2 conduits.

My new controller only has one connection for a common wire. The easy solution would be to splice the two common wires together right before the controller. But I dont know enough about electrical to know if this would cause a short or a spark. See image

I know very little about electrical (obviously). Let me know if you need more info. Thanks!

Image: the top drawing is the system as I inherited it. Below that is what I am considering as a fix. All wires shown are common wires. PMP C is the pump controller common connector

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-19, 08:52 PM
Oh. I could also just connect both wires right at the screw connector. Not sure if that would make a difference

Old 06-15-19, 03:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
You can connect all the commons together and run one wire back to controler.

Old 06-15-19, 05:58 AM
I probably should have mentioned, because it's not apparent in the drawing, the two groups of valves are at least 100 ft apart, and on opposite sides of the house.

Thank you!

Old 06-15-19, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
It doesn't really make a difference how you connect the common wires as long as they are all connected together.

Old 06-15-19, 05:28 PM
Thank you! Much appreciated