Electric into garden shed

Old 06-15-19, 04:02 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric into garden shed


I am looking to get temporary electrics into my garden shed.
My wife will be using it for her part time dress making.

In the shed, I will be running a strip light, 3 or 4 sockets for a sewing machine, an iron, table lamp, phone charger etc

Can I just connect 4 way extension lead from the lounge into the shed? (the shed back onto the lounge) or do I have to wire in a consumer unit?

If I have to use a consumer unit where do I power it from? (plug socket?)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I am competent in anything electrical, as I'm a electronic engineer (smaller stuff, not house wiring)
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by PJmax; 06-15-19 at 12:29 PM. Reason: removed formatting
Old 06-15-19, 12:33 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 64,639
Received 3,892 Upvotes on 3,489 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the UK.

This is predominantly a North American based site so our wiring and codes are different than yours.

Here an extension cord is only rated for temporary use so an application like you have would require a permanent line to be run to the shed. Usually underground is best.
Old 06-18-19, 12:55 PM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 4,501
Upvotes: 0
Received 272 Upvotes on 248 Posts
If the cord is really going to be unplugged from the receptacle (wall plug) at the main house and coiled up in the shed every night then it is okay to use an extension lead.

I am thinking that a 20 ampere (12 gauge) standard 240 volt circuit, whether extension or underground, will be outgrown soon if not marginal today. At some amperage (more than 20 in the U.S.) a consumer unit (breaker panel; load center) is needed at the shed with several circuit breakers for as many separate circuits for lights, groups of receptacles, etc.

At least in the U.S. it is not permissible to install two permanent (underground or overhead) circuits of 20 or fewer amps each out to the shed instead of one circuit of greater amperage, in order to avoid installing a consumer unit.

A new consumer unit for the shed would be wired into a breaker in a consumer unit in the main house.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: