Electrical box with screw?

Old 06-17-19, 02:28 PM
Electrical box with screw?

I'm working on finishing my basement. I'm almost to the electrical part. I need to install outlet boxes, and am curious if the nails that come with them, can be replaced with screws? and if so what size screws would be needed? I would need this to be compliant with code too.

The reason I'm looking into screws is simply, if I can do the installation of these at night when my kids are sleeping it will accelerate my progress.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-19, 04:26 PM
I don't have the NEC handy in front of me but I would say you could use screws of the same size.

Depending on the screw, its threads may be difficult to pass through the mounting bracket and when the screw finally catches in the wood, the box might have a gap between it and the stud and the screw threads might not synchronize with the hole the screw made in the stud and you mibht not be able to snug up the box with the stud when the screw is almost all the way in.

Old 06-17-19, 05:44 PM
Hi, how about these?
https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com...t~part~5978716
Geo

AFJES liked this post.
Old 06-18-19, 05:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can use screws. There's also an old trick of using a big C-clamp to squeeze the nails in if you need to install a box where you can't reach your hammer. I suppose it would work fine out in the open too. The Arlington One boxes are a great option too.

Old 06-18-19, 06:00 AM
Thanks everyone, I read somewhere that metalic screws inside a high voltage box is not good? but I have no knowledge to base that off of other than something that I read somewhere which may or may not be true...

BUT that did spark me to look directly at the carlon page (they make the boxes I've been looking at from home depot). They make one with a screw already in them. BUT when searching, I don't find a supplier that sells them each. I will keep looking, but does anyone know where I may be able to find these in packages less than 100?

BH122S is the model number https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com...0aAhcSEALw_wcB

Old 06-18-19, 06:19 AM
Are there any electrical supply houses where you live?
Geo

Old 06-18-19, 06:21 AM
we have a couple, Werner, graybar, and viking electric. I left them messages this morning, but they don't open until 9 lol. fingers crossed.

Old 06-18-19, 11:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Something like this with a nailing flange could work for you too.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1...-40R/202077339

I would stay away from the ones with plastic fins that nail to the stud as they are a little flimsy, but they are code compliant too!

Old 06-18-19, 12:13 PM
OH that would work! and they are adjustable so If I want to do thicker drywall or multiple layers in places...