Breaker(s) keep tripping?

Old 06-17-19, 04:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaker(s) keep tripping?

Hey guys, long story short, around 2 years ago I had aaMAJOR electrical problem in my "older" home, turned out it was a bad main line (Fuse box outside to inside fuse box) Problem was fixed and I think it still is, however I was cooking something in my Electrical Roaster and no matter what outlet I plugged it into THAT breaker would trip? So Since I knew that the electrical problem we had was fixed, I thought about something else and looked at the Cord that plugs in the wall from the back of the roaster and there ya go, had a slit in it, Question is would a broken cord like I just mention cause a breaker to trip? or do I have to call another person to come look at it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-19, 04:53 PM
just to add I turned the flipped breakers on and everything seems to be working normally

Old 06-17-19, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 124 Posts
If the cord had a short in it, yes, that would cause the breaker to flip. But roasters also pull a lot of amps, so it could also be that the circuit was simply overloaded... for example, if it was on the same circuit as the refrigerator, for example, it would probably flip if the two were running at the same time.

Old 06-17-19, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the quick response, Well we've been cooking like this with and without the fridge on for awhile now After that line got fixed and it just started to act up today, So i suspect the broken wire

Also i plugged it in another plug on a different circuit and same thing happend

Old 06-17-19, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
A defective cord could cause the breaker to trip. I would think you'd hear a sizzle or arc from the cord unless it was dead shorted in which case the breaker would trip as soon as the plug was put into the receptacle.