GFCI breaker vs outlet and few other questions

Old 06-18-19, 06:34 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI breaker vs outlet and few other questions

I'm preparing to apply for a permit to add electrical outlets around our backyard. The power will be drawn from a subpanel that is used for powering our pool equipment. I plan to add 2 circuits, one that extends about 50' in one direction and another that extends about 100' in the opposite direction, with outlet boxes spaced every 10 to 15 feet. Is it reasonable to use a GFCI breaker for each circuit or would that result it excessive nuisance tripping?

The temperature range in our city is about 0C to 40C over the course of the year. If I install PVC conduit on a 20C day, does that mean I only need to account for 20C of expansion/contraction in table 352.44 (which would allow about 5m of continuous conduit), or do I need to account for the full 40C temperature range (which would only allow about 2.5m)?

Would it be acceptable to slightly bury schedule 80 conduit for asthetics or does any burial always require the depths in table 300.5?

Thanks, Eric

Old 06-18-19, 07:07 PM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
you can use one gfci plug as the master for each leg, the second and following plugs would be powered from the bottom hot and neutral terminals on the GFCI plug.
on the next 2 questions check with a local electrical inspector. city codes are sometimes more restrictive.

nobody291 voted this post useful.
Old 06-19-19, 05:20 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
I assume you're running along a fence or something like that? For long horizontal runs I generally prefer EMT. Horizontal PVC will always sag a bit no matter how well you strap it, especially if it will be in direct sunlight.

If you have +/- 20C ambient temp, then that is all you need to account for.

Technically any burial triggers the full 18" cover requirement. Practically speaking it would require quite a bit of work to damage sch80 with a garden spade so I think there can be some flexibility here. Depends if this will be inspected and how strict the inspector will be.

nobody291 voted this post useful.
Old 06-19-19, 06:42 AM
Received 164 Votes on 147 Posts
you can use one gfci plug as the master for each leg, the second and following plugs would be powered from the bottom hot and neutral terminals on the GFCI plug.

A plug is a male wiring device with prongs such as a cord cap and is made to be inserted into a receptacle. What you are describing are receptacles and not plugs.

Would it be acceptable to slightly bury schedule 80 conduit for asthetics or does any burial always require the depths in table 300.5?
The typical required burial depth for conduit is 18", but it can be reduced to 12" if the circuit is GFCI protected. The depth can be further reduced to 6" if you use rigid metal conduit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: