Installation location for doorbell transformer

Old 06-20-19, 09:16 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installation location for doorbell transformer

My son is having a contractor remodel a former downstairs heater closet into a walk-in utility closet, to include shelving, lighting, and a power receptacle. Unfortunately, the original closet also was the location of the doorbell transformer which had to be moved. The contractor installed it into the small framing space above the closet, which makes it inaccessible without cutting a hole in the new drywall. My son asked how anyone could find the transformer if it went bad, and was told a sign could be posted on the closet ceiling to show the location. My son didn’t like that, and asked me to look into this for him (I’m retired corporate manufacturing equipment electrician).
I talked to the contractor, and he told me he could move the transformer near the new LED recessed light, which could be removed to access the transformer. He insists there is no electrical code prohibiting that. I am not familiar with NEC residential code, so I would like to know if it is in fact compliant with NEC, and/or even wise. Since the contractor is so insistent, I would appreciate knowing the NEC code number which either allows or prohibits such installation. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-20-19, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The transformer cannot be installed in a non accessible location.
Installing it on a recessed fixture would allow it to be accessible but would be my last choice of a location.

Ok..... where would you put it ?
We don't know your layout there. Is there a way of putting it in another area ?

What you could do is to purchase a 16v wall wart. Extend the wire from where it is now and use a plug in transformer in the new receptacle.

Old 06-20-19, 10:11 AM
R
That response was quick! Thanks Pete, and for the welcome. I have been following DIY for a few years; what a wonderful and generous service.

You have confirmed my suspicion. I will give info to my son your response for him to work it out with the contractor. I hope they can find another location, but the wall wart seems a good alternative.
Best Regards

Old 06-20-19, 12:37 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
Simplest fix at this time would be just installing an access panel. I don't think it would look too bad since it is in the closet.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 06-20-19, 01:17 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Not only the transformer but the junction box it was attached to can not be hidden behind drywall. All junction boxes must remain accessible.

Old 06-20-19, 03:11 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
All electrical devices and connections must be accessible.

Or, only continuous (unspliced) lengths of cable may be hidden in a wall or ceiling.

The doorbell transformer can be attached to the (exposed) cover of a junction box with the wires going inside the box to make connections.

Old 06-21-19, 04:59 PM
R
Thanks again to all for your replies. The j-box/transformer has been moved to above the closet door near the ceiling where it is out of the way, but visible. Fortunately, the power cable was just long enough to reach, although the contractor had to (grudgingly) remove/replace a strip of drywall to get it there. Should have done so in the first place, of course.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: