Electric Help. Please respond quick

Old 06-20-19, 05:14 PM
Electric Help. Please respond quick

Hello, I recently (within the past hour) attempted to install a smart light switch (I'm a smart home nerd) I installed it best I could but the socket wasn't wide enough and t ended up sticking out of the wall. This might be a problem with my wiring skills but here's what went down. We snapped the wall plate on and turned on the circuit it was on on the breaker. On this circuit we have one light from downstairs my room, my sister's room and a couple of plugs in the family room. The light from downstairs, my room, the plugs from the family room are all on and working. My sister's room, however is completely off, no outlets or the overhead light is on. That also happens to be the room where we store the router and modem so the internet is also down and has been while we were installing it. My dad tried re-tripping the circuit/breaker switch. Turning all of the other circuits off except for the dishwasher (because it was running) and turning them back on again. Something possibly important would be that the second or third time my dad tripped the circuit/breaker the downstairs light didn't turn back on and one of my lamps I have on a surge protector/power strip blinked, it was fully in the outlet. This led me to believe that the new switch was taking up too much power or I didn't wire it correctly. But if it was short circuiting because of not enough power then the whole circuit would be off. The smart switch is a treatlife smart switch model number SSO1S with and input of 100-240VAC 50/60 Hz

Last edited by Zacharoni; 06-20-19 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Didn't include smart switch name
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-19, 05:43 PM
Upvotes Received: 50
Most likely a loose connection within the switch box.

Old 06-21-19, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 9
I doubt it's the switch itself. Even if the switch was defective, it would affect the light/load that it's controlling, but it shouldn't affect anything else on the same circuit.

Did you disconnect/change any of the wiring in the box? The old switch probably had 2 wires, did you just connect those 2 wires to the new switch?

My guess is either something got changed incorrectly in the box, or as Joed mentioned possibly a loose connection that got looser when the switch was crammed in.