Slowly degrading circuit breaker?

Old 06-22-19, 11:07 AM
Slowly degrading circuit breaker?

I have a relatively new house at 3 years old and over the past 6 months or so, one circuit, the one that powers my washer only, would trip. First it would trip I'm wanting to say only after severe weather. The last month or two it would trip just about every time the washer finished its cycle. At first I thought the washer was the culprit, but today I noticed it was tripped and when I went to reset it, it would not do it. I tried a dozen or more times...no luck. I unplugged the washer and tried again another dozen times. Still no luck.

Any thoughts on what this might be? Is it likely just the switch itself going bad or maybe something actually degraded the wire to the switch over time is more to the issue?

I'll probably end up getting an electrician in but would really like to have a clue as to what it should be before they show up claiming the whole thing needs to be rewired or something.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-19, 11:49 AM
Upvotes Received: 16
It's entirely possible you may have a bad breaker, but it's also possible there is a problem between the breaker and the washer receptacle. I would disconnect the load wire from the breaker and then try resetting it. If it still will not reset you know for sure you have a bad breaker. If it does reset try checking the connections at the receptacle.

Regardless, a 3 year old bad breaker should be replaced by a distributor free of charge under warranty. Square D QO series, Cutler-Hammer CH series and most Siemens QP breakers carry a lifetime warranty, all others are typically warranted for 10 years.

By the way, is this a GFCI, a dual function (GFCI/AFCI) breaker or just a normal circuit breaker?

darrinps voted this post as helpful.
Old 06-22-19, 12:41 PM
I appreciate the reply.

The outlet does not have the normal GFCI switch, but the breaker does have a switch (and a blue stripe) if that helps.

Old 06-22-19, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
Please post the panel manufacturer.

You have what sounds like an AFCI (arc fault) circuit breaker. Doubtful the breaker is bad.
Possibly a wiring problem but more likely a problem appliance.

Old 06-24-19, 08:41 AM
OK, so the thing started working again. I did nothing at all.

I really think it has to do with weather as it always seems to have issues after it rains.

I'll post the panel later, but for sure most of the house is set up for GFCI (labeled on the outlets)

Old 06-26-19, 05:26 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
the house is set up for GFCI (labeled on the outlets)

If the outlets are labelled, "GFCI Protected," you probably have a GFCI breaker. Some are very sensitive to moisture.