3 way and single pole wiring

Old 06-26-19, 05:16 AM
3 way and single pole wiring

I am wiring a 3 way switch and single pole in the same box and need some clarification. The 3 way is for the kitchen lights and the single pole will be for the dining room, both are on the same circuit. I followed the attached diagram for the 3 way. The 2 gang box will be the one on the right side of the diagram with all that is coming in is the 14/3 and the 14/2 for the dining light. I was going to pull my hot line off the common screw for my dining room light but Im not quite sure if I can pull my neutral for the dinning room light off the white line for the 3 way. Can someone help me? The question is can I jump my neutral for the single pole off the 3 way? Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-19, 06:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 34
he 2 gang box will be the one on the right side of the diagram with all that is coming in is the 14/3 and the 14/2 for the dining light.
It is not possible to power the dining room light from the kitchen three-way circuit travelers -- they are switched hots, not neutrals. You would either need to have an additional wire between the junction boxes (like 14/4 cable) or you would need to bring the power source to this junction box rather than the one on the other side of the three-way.

joed voted this post as helpful.
Old 06-26-19, 06:43 AM
Upvotes Received: 50
You can't do it. You don't have a neutral.

Old 06-26-19, 10:06 AM
Thank you. I will run a new power line to the box then.