Manufactured Home light switch replacement

Old 06-26-19, 06:24 PM
Manufactured Home light switch replacement

I have kids and im tired of the light being left on so i would like to install a motion sensor/ occupancy light switch. Dont know if i need a 3way pole or single pole. One place im installing has two switchs (one the light other fan) which both look like the image below. I just want to change one to the ideal switch. Second question all i found online requires neutral wire which im not sure which one of these are that. If i understand colors right - red = hot/ copper wires, black goes to black, green = neutral?, white wires go?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-19, 06:27 PM
What i have now

Ok thank you got the image uploaded

Attached Images   

Last edited by Bkhughes; 06-26-19 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-26-19, 06:33 PM
This is what im aiming to install

Per Pete
So if two switches its a 3way
An if one switch 1 way, right?

Last edited by Bkhughes; 06-26-19 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-26-19, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

First of all...... you need a three way motion sensor if there are two switches controlling the same set of lights. It would be best to post a picture or two of the wiring in the box where you want the motion switch. Turn off the power, pull the switches out without unwiring them and post a picture or two.

Follow this........ How-to-insert-pictures.

Last edited by PJmax; 06-26-19 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-26-19, 06:55 PM
Thank you pete here is the images above

Old 06-26-19, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Ok...... I see the switch you want to use. A single location is just single pole.
Is that your wiring in the left picture or just an example ?

Manufactured homes are hard to work on the wiring as they use special shallow boxes with press in devices. In order for you to use that switch you would probably have to change the existing box.

Old 06-26-19, 07:09 PM
My box?

The image is what it looks like above in the top post this image is as is before removing the back cover and the hole in the wall where i would asume should be the box.

Attached Images  
Old 06-26-19, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
I see the two boxes you have out of the wall. It looks like a jumper between boxes which makes three cable into each box. If those boxes are similar to the representative picture you posted previously then the motion switch will not fit. You'll need to measure how deep the switch is and how deep the wall is to figure out a new box depth. You may not be able to put that switch in the wall.

Old 06-26-19, 09:02 PM
Ok

Ok if it does or i find one that fits would it work? Also with my other question from going from white, copper, and black. How would i connect red, black, green, and blue wires?

Old 06-26-19, 09:53 PM
Group Moderator
You didn't show us your actual wiring but I'd think you'll find two black wires tied/connected together. That would be the black wire of the sensor. The three whites should be all tied together and that would be the white wire on the sensor. The single black wire connects to the red on the sensor. The blue gets capped off.... it's not used. The green goes to the bare copper ground wires.

Old 06-26-19, 09:57 PM
Thanks

Ok thank you thats what i wanted to confirm to make sure i understood correctly

Old 06-30-19, 06:48 PM
Installed one problem it stays on

If my image loaded correctly i drew up the old diagram of the old switch. How i connected the new one. Is i tied the red to the top black wire, the black wire to the bottom black wires, i tied the green wire to all the copper wires, tied of the blue wire, and tied the white wire with the white wires. What did i do wrong the light does not shut off.

Attached Images  
Old 06-30-19, 06:54 PM
Group Moderator
That is a diagram showing the cables. We need to see the connections of the individual white and black wires.
We don't need to see any grounds. Ground wires aren't shown in a diagram but are understood to be needed and connected.

It sounds like the two black wires you connected are not power in and out. Almost sounds like power in and light. Is everything else working correctly ?

Old 06-30-19, 07:08 PM
Does this help

If you could in layman terms

Attached Images    
Old 06-30-19, 07:12 PM
The fan is yes and nothing blew up thankfully

Old 06-30-19, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Wow..... I'm guessing no box.

The ideal thing to do is to remove both boxes. Get a deep two gang plastic box. Glue it to the outside wall with all the cables inside it. after the glue sets you can trim around the box with moldings.

You are currently working with three cables. One comes from the other box, one goes to the light and one goes out to another device. So basically power comes in one box..... jumps to the other box.... then goes back out probably to another receptacle. So if the power in and out are wired correctly..... everything on that circuit should be working ok. Yes... the fan is right there.... so it will work. We're looking beyond that.

You need to know which cable is the "out to the lights". Once you know that cable...... all the whites are tied together. The black in and out are tied together to black and the light line goes to red.

Your diagram shows the light line by itself at the top of the box. That may not be correct. There is no assigned orientation. That's why the light line needs to be found by testing.